Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirloinStk Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2008, 01:24 PM
    No need to sugarcoat your opinion
    To summarize it all. I have to be the judge on the matter. I will be honest and play my cards right. If this relationship does not turn out the way I wanted it to be then I will not blame anyone else but myself.

Thanks to those who replied.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Sounds like she has a problem with keeping her pants on?

Most people, don't ever change much after the age of say, 25 or so.

Many times we think that someone will change for us, usually they don't, or won't.

You got to be the judge though, the fact that you are here asking this is not a good sign.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 01:58 PM
    It sounds like you have allot of reservations, that is a sign in and of itself.
    Obviously you have some trust issues about this girl, not a good way to
    Start or continue a relationship. I guess it all comes down to this, do you care
    About her enough to put her past behind you and move forward, or will you
    Forever be questioning whether she's being faithful? We can't make this
    Decision for you, it's yours and yours alone, but weigh both sides first.

Good luck.

Jun 14, 2008, 04:30 PM
    "It sounds like you have allot of reservations, that is a sign in and of itself."

I don't get this part but I agree with the rest (trust issues).
    Pets Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Having reservations is a sign because it means that deep down you already know
    That this might not be the best idea. Go with your gut, you heart isn't always right.

Good luck.

Jun 14, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Thanks (Progunr and Altenweg)
    Pets Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 11:15 PM
    That's why we're here. Remember this, these are just our opinions, the decision
    Is still yours and yours alone. Good luck. :)
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 01:14 AM
    Maybe I've got rose-colored glasses, but my motto is "trust implicitly at first without reservation, until you are given specific reason not trust." Period.

What this girl has gone through in the past is her issue. You can opt to treat your time with her honestly and above board. Keep things from her past and yours out of the equation if they don't apply this tme around.

I, too, am skeptical of people's ability to change. It just happens so rarely. But... it DOES happen. So, go for it with her, but don't make any excuses if things go awry. Be honest with her, and be honest with yourself.

If it tanks, and it most likely will (but not guaranteed), just be ready for it. You can survive that, too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 15, 2008, 09:35 AM
    As long as you know with perfect honesty, what she is capable of, and what your getting into, then your on your own. Good Luck!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Well... not enough details in your OP to understand whether your choice to hang in there is reasonable or not.

The only "problem" I have with what seems like your approach to dating is that you will only blame yourself if it all goes to hell.

I once dated a girl who, from day one, said she wasn't looking for an exclusive relationship. If I wanted to date other girls, thatd be fine. She even knew I liked another girl as well and told me to "go for it". She had a reputation as a wild one, but who didn't sleep around. Just your average drinking, boot kicking, shut-the-hell-up-and-have-fun girl. She was fun to go out with. She was a blast in bed. And she loved football. Like I died and went to heaven.

All that said, I knew she was younger, I knew she had some career goals that wouldn't be stopped by any relationship, and I knew she liked boys... she might not have been one to sleep around, but she loved attention and she loved men giving attention to her.

So we ended up dating for two years exclusively. She didn't mean to just date me, but it happened. I knew it could have been short time, but I was hooked and I rolled the dice.

It ended one night after she called me over for a late night hookup. The next morning while she's in the shower I find out from a notebook by her bed that shed been out with another guy that night. Turns out she took him into bed and when things didn't go right for her she called me over later to "fix" her need.

Now... did I blame myself some for hanging onto a relationship that was partly "doomed" to fail... sure. Some. But you'd better believe she bore the brunt of my blame.

I was open and honest. I told her "if you get serious with another guy just let me know" and she didn't. She deserved a hell of a lot of blame and got it.

So... don't accept being a martyr.

You can step in dog crap once or twice and not expect the mess... but at some point you can choose the path you take. Being open and honest is fine. A good way to live your life.

But don't be afraid to expect certain things from others and to demand those things. A fav saying of mine is that you only get the respect you demand, and sometimes not even that.

So don't assume when something falls apart it is your blame to bear, your fault. For what? Being open? Honest?

Sometimes great relationships fail and sometimes bad realtionships just won't die. Its fine to accept some blame when its due.

But don't be afraid for one minute to hold others accountable for their actions. Don't punish new lovers for the mistakes of past lovers, but don't try to bear the burden of a failed relationship on your own.

I've lost a few big loves. One was simply "bad timing"... honestly nobody's fault. Another was the crash and burn I mentioned... (I swear I'm still ticked I got her off so fast the night before). Another one was lost because we were young and both changed. I made mistakes in two of those relationships. Two girls made mistakes also. Its not all on me.

Jun 19, 2008, 11:05 PM
    Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Sep 30, 2009, 06:14 PM
    Can I still mend our relationship back?
    Threads merged

I am 22 yrs old. I have cheated on my girlfriend through SMS/texting another woman but there wasn't any sexual messages or pictures sent and the text messages were very few. My girlfriend saw these messages in my cellphone and she does not know what to do right now. I know I don't have the right to go back in her life but I don't want this relationship to end. I'm sad at the moment that this happened and I know it was me who destroyed our relationship. Is there a chance for us to get back? If there is, how?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 06:25 PM
    You can start by being apologetic and sincere that you want to repair the relationship. You broke her trust. If there's no trust, there's no relationship. It's up to her if she wants to give you another chance.
    Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 06:58 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...-226816-2.html

Is this her?

Sep 30, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Threads merged

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Yes, why?
    Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 07:15 PM

Just curious, why you were going behind her back? There is not a lot of info in your last post, like it was edited or something.

Sep 30, 2009, 07:50 PM

@talaniman

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relatio...-226816-2.html << this post?
    Or
    Yes, why? << this post?

I edited both of them. The link: The replies were sufficient for me and there was no need for others to reply.

The yes, why?: before I edited it was just a "why".

@"why were you going behind her back?": It was for my own selfish reason why I did it and I am stupid for doing it.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2009, 08:35 PM

You may not have cheated physically but you cheated emotionally , that is just as bad for a partner to take as it still crosses the trust barrier.

All you can do is apologise and sit back and wait , no-one can make her mind up for her and with so little information we don't really know if there are any other underlying issues you haven't told us about.
    Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 10:24 PM

I think you bite the bullet on this one, and sit back and see if she stays mad, or calls you later. I think a week, is sufficient to see what's up, but being a bad boy has its consequences.

Also be aware she may not change her mind, and seek other options. That's the price we pay sometimes, sorry.

Oct 1, 2009, 08:27 AM

Thank you all for your reply(ies).

She is still talking to me personally. Since it is my fault, I'll try and make this work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to mend. [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been dating now for three years and have known each other for close to five, everything about our relationship has been perfect when we were physically together unfortunately we've been forced to spend a good deal of time apart, after about a year's time of not seeing each...

I want to mend all his pains I gave him [ 7 Answers ]

Believe me I know that I am wrong... that's why I am regretting so much for the mistake... I want to heal all his painsi gave him.. I don't want to loose him dear... I know its all happeing because of my stupidity... there is not even a small ray of light which can help me to get back to him... I...

How do you mend a broken heart. [ 2 Answers ]

For 3 years I liked this boy before we finally started dating. The year before we started dating, we wrote each other long letters (about 15 pages) and talked every night. He was going through some pretty hard times and I was the only person he talked to about it. FINALLY after three years we...

How ofter do relationships mend? [ 9 Answers ]

This might be a dumb question but hey, I'm hanging by a thread on the end of my rope. How often do people (in love) who break up get back together?

To mend a shattered heart? [ 4 Answers ]

I was w/ my ex who I believe is my soul mate for almost 2 1/2 years and we just broke up a like a month ago. Before we officially broke up we were on a "break" for 2weeks but I pressured him to make a decision. We have lived together for more than a year and he packed up most of his stuff and...

View more questions Search