Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ASB1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Theft under $5000
    I am from calgary Alberta so I worked at a sports store and I stole stuff for $600 dollars and got caught and arrested and I agreed to doing it with the loss prevention guy and the police and I got a court date , also I used to check in at work and leave I did this for 3 days. I am 21 and this is my first offence what will be the consequences? What will happen at the court? Thanks
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2009, 05:32 AM
    Theft from employer is treated very seriously in Canada. I would get a lawyer and try to get a conditional discharge which would probably be your best.

Apr 20, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Thanks for the reply emery
    Since I already admitted to doing it should I still get a lawyer?
    What if I go in myself what would be the punishment?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2009, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ASB1 View Post
    thanx for the reply emery
    since i already admitted to doing it should i still get a lawyer?
    what if i go in myself what would be the punishment?

Get an Attorney - each Province is different and the Attorney can tell you what to expect.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 07:04 PM

There are first offender programs, but an attorney will help you work for the best deal you can get.

I would not even go to traffic court without one if I wanted to win or at least try to get the best deal

Apr 21, 2009, 08:11 PM

But how much will that cost me around?

Apr 22, 2009, 05:29 AM
    If I had to guess I would say between $2,500 and up to $5,000 or $6,000 depending of course on what is involved.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2009, 05:46 AM

In my area Attorneys in criminal court - which this is - are charging $1,500 for the first appearance, $1,000 for subsequent appearances and in the area of $250 an hour for "office" work.

Apr 22, 2009, 02:35 PM

Do you think my punishment will be worse if I go in without a lawyer like the loss prevention guy was serious about me having a criminal record forever and he wants that. Will it make any difference if I take a lawyer or I don't?

Apr 23, 2009, 05:28 AM

It could make a difference it is hard to say best to consult a lawyer to have more expertise regarding your case and definitely worth paying money to a lawyer if he can avoid a criminal record for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone So I am looking for some advice. I am 21,committed a theft under 5000 few days ago for the first time- don't ask me what I was thinking cause I wish I was thinking! I took items amounting to $70.00. The Loss prevention of the store called the police and made me sign a few documents....

Theft Under 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am from toronto, I recently was in a shop to fix my car, while going around the store, I found a snow blower, I took off the screw of the blower (the one attached to the plastic to direct your throw of snow) because mine at home was missing. I paid for the Car Maintenenace and left the building....

Theft Under $5000 [ 9 Answers ]

I was recently charged with theft under $500 dollars. I was at a local store and my friend ask me to steal, me, being the immature idiot I am agreed I would. I stole of total of 50 dollars worth or makeup. My court date is set for may 2nd and I would do anything to have it erased. It is my...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft under $5000. [ 1 Answers ]

Once get the appearance notice from peace officer, would it be possible to settle matter out of court by accepting guilt and paying fine or any demand by shop (out of court). Commodity amount was around 175$

View more questions Search