Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kap_01 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Can you leave the state while on probation?
    Can you leave the state while on probation. I've been on probatio for 3 years, I live in CA. My family has planned a trip to Ohio. How does probation know?
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

Apr 1, 2009, 06:23 PM

I would suggest you ask for permission... what if they decide to pop up you don't want to end up in more trouble
    humble10 Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Apr 1, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Hi, don't leave the state without out asking your probation officer first. You don't want to regret leaving and they found out , This can create another problem.

Apr 1, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by humble10 View Post
    Hi, don't leave the state without out asking your probation officer first. You don't want to regret leaving and they found out , This can create another problem.
    I understand but how does probation know? I check in just to make payments?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 06:48 PM

Someone who knows you get pisssed and reports you.

You get into a car wreck over there and they find out.

You help drive and get a speeding ticket.

You get your ID ran at some radom road check point

It is this week, after never doing it, they call to check on you

The issue is, if they do what happens, if you don't mind going to prison, heck go for it, is a prison stay worth just not asking ?
    humble10 Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Apr 1, 2009, 10:31 PM
    Hi, I am sure you got your answers from chuck. I hope the best for you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 05:41 AM

Hello k:

It's REAL easy to get a travel permit from your PO. Did I say REAL easy??

So, since it's so easy, why would you risk going to jail for this??

Oh, I understand risking your butt for thousands and thousands of dollars... but not when you don't have to...

excon
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 05:49 AM

If you have a good record while on probation,there is no reason why you would be denied permission.
    On the other hand ,if you got stopped for even a minor infraction in Ohio,say a fender bender and they ran your I.D. your in a world of hurt.
    It just isn't worth the risk.

Apr 2, 2009, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello k:

It's REAL easy to get a travel permit from your PO. Did I say REAL easy????

So, since it's so easy, why would you risk going to jail for this????

Oh, I understand risking your butt for thousands and thousands of dollars.... but not when you don't have to...

excon
    Hey! So you ask to leave and they said YES. What didi you do? What do you say? Was it a family emergency? What state are you in.
    Thanks for your support and advice
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 06:49 PM

Hello again, k:

You don't make anything up. You tell him you're going to Ohio with your family. Just talk to him. They're not going to stop you.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2009, 12:04 PM

Asking is much better than say checking in at the airport and then checking out and going to jail and waiting your VOP hearing for trying to leave the state without prior written permission. If you do get permission, get it in writing and carry that piece of paper with you at all times until you get back home. When you are back home, it is a good idea to check back in with your PO and let them know you came back and are at home. They kind of like that. Letting them know you're back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can probation be moved from state to state [ 8 Answers ]

If on probation can you move your probation to another state or do you have to stay in the state that you have probation in.

On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be...

Leave the USA while on probation? [ 8 Answers ]

I am on probation in the state of California, and I want to go out of the USA and go to another country, can I do this, what can I do? Who do I have to ask permission? i dont really want to come back to the usa anyways? can I leave the usa?

Can I leave my state while on probation? [ 2 Answers ]

What's up I got my first DWI and I'm probably going to go to jail for 48 hours and pay a fine but I need to know if I can leave my state for the holidays... see I already have my plane ticket to go to Texas and I just want to know if I can still go

Trying to leave the states but on probation? [ 7 Answers ]

If someone can help me... Im on probation for another 3 yrs for dwi.. what's the chance of me getting caught leaving the state for about 4 days..? without the PO knowing.. and how? Does the PO find out?:confused:

View more questions Search