Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikcon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Etiquette high school graduation
    Is it okay to use computer generated mailing labels for the outside envelope? I am concerned that my son's handwriting may not be legible for the post office.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
    I received a wedding invitation last week with a computer generated mailing label on it. I almost threw it away without opening it since it didn't look like an invitation and there was no return address.

The proper etiquette is to hand-address invitations, whether they be for a birthday party, a wedding, or a graduation. Hand printing is still preferable to a preprinted label. If I were your son's aunt or grandmother, seeing his careful printing on the envelope and realizing his effort to do this would give me great joy and cause me to be more generous in what I give him as a gift.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 12:48 PM
    I agree with Wondergirl, hand-addressing the envelopes is the proper way to do it. I did it for all of my graduation announcements, as well as my wedding invites and thank you cards. It shows the recipient you put in that extra bit of time.

That being said, everyone else I know who has gotten married lately has used either labels or a computer printer to address the envelopes. So it is done, but I think it takes out the element of the invite or announcement being personal.

Have your son take his time while addressing the envelopes, and he'll do fine.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 12:59 PM
    I even hate to see greeting cards with a computer-generated label on the envelope. Part of the specialness in getting a card is seeing one's name in the sender's handwriting or printing. Of course, if the sender is elderly with shaky handwriting or has a disability that prevents hand addressing, a computer label is fine. Mostly, though, computer labels are used because the sender is lazy and in a hurry to get the job done (so, then, why bother in the first place?? ).

I don't look for beauty in addressing, but am pleased by honesty and special effort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High School Garation Invitation etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

My son graduates from high school this spring and I know that you do not send invitations to the parents of his classmates, but what if one of his friends is graduating the same time but from a different school. Would it be okay to send his parents and him an invitation?

High school Graduation party ideas [ 3 Answers ]

I need a graduation party idea for my 18 year old daughter. I was thinking about a scavenger hunt that ends at a location- problem is that I have no idea what a great location would be. I want it to be surprise.

High school graduation announcement [ 1 Answers ]

Is the high school graduation announcement from the parents of the child or from the child? I don't know who is sending it.

Graduation Announcement Etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

Where do you place the parchment tissue in a graduation announcement?

Graduation Announcements - High School [ 1 Answers ]

Who is actually sending out the announcements? The graduate or the parents of the graduate?

View more questions Search