Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okocha66 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2015, 11:25 AM
    Device to keep power off following power outage
    Is there a simple device I can buy that I can place between an electrical outlet and an electronic device that would disable power following a power outage, so that once power goes off even for a second, it stays off until I manually reset it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 29, 2015, 06:34 PM
    What is it your trying to do or protect ?

Oct 29, 2015, 06:49 PM
    I have a "smart" light bulb, which I program to gradually light up in the morning (have blackout curtain because of bright street lights). The problem is that when power goes out and comes back on, the bulb resets and the light turns on. I am trying to prevent bright light shinning in my face in the middle of the night, and I am willing to sacrifice my morning gradual waking for the day to avoid that. Where I live, the power has been very unstable lately.

So a device that would cut off power would prevent the light from turning on in the middle of the night. If I can't find anything like that, I guess I'll have to pick up a UPS and keep the power supplied to the bulb through minor power interruption, although that would cost a fair amount of money.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 29, 2015, 09:25 PM
    I assume this light is controlled by some electronic timing device. Power that timing device through a normally open latching relay. Pick that relay with a momentary switch.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2015, 07:41 AM
    Or buy a small computer UPS to plug that into ( a battery backup not a surge protector)... if that's all its powering it would last through a fairly long power interruption and even work if the power outage is when you need to get up.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2015, 11:06 AM
    How often does the power go out? I have a similar situation with X-10 controllers, but the power doesn't go out all that often.
    Are you concerned about these outages?

Oct 30, 2015, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    I assume this light is controlled by some electronic timing device. Power that timing device through a normally open latching relay. Pick that relay with a momentary switch.
    Thank you for your answer.

The "smart" light bulb contains LED light sources and a control system that communicates over wifi, so that the light can be controlled from a smart phone or a computer. On/off times can also be scheduled. However, if the power is reset, the bulb reverts to "dumb" mode, and simply turns on. I was hoping that there was a simple inexpensive product that could preempt that.

I have a basic understanding of what latching relays and momentary switches are, but I do not see how they would be deployed in this case. Could you please explain in more detail?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Or buy a small computer UPS to plug that into ( a battery backup not a surge protector)... if that's all its powering it would last through a fairly long power interruption and even work if the power outage is when you need to get up.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Getting a UPS is my backup plan. It really is the ideal solution, but it comes a cost (at least $60 for something that I can prevent from beeping through the night when power is less than ideal). I was hoping that there was a simple inexpensive device that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    How often does the power go out? I have a similar situation with X-10 controllers, but the power doesn't go out all that often.
    Are you concerned about these outages?
    Thanks for answering. There have been at least six momentary outage in last three days, and those had nothing to do with weather. I live in the LA area, and with the expected strong El Nino and resulting storms, I foresee many more in the upcoming months. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing more than a minor annoyance. But it would be nice if it could be eliminated with an inexpensive product.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 31, 2015, 02:28 AM
    I have a basic understanding of what latching relays and momentary switches are, but I do not see how they would be deployed in this case. Could you please explain in more detail?
    With a latching relay in the electrical circuit to the light itself, once power is lost the light will not come on again until you press the momentary switch again.
    Attached Images

Oct 31, 2015, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    With a latching relay in the electrical circuit to the light itself, once power is lost the light will not come on again until you press the momentary switch again.
    That's fantastic. Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to Do During a Power Outage? [ 3 Answers ]

Our community recently had to contend with a major blackout in the evening, around 5 p.m.I don't know what to do.

Power outage... [ 2 Answers ]

Power outage... Due to a power outage, only one paramedic responded to the call. The house was very dark so the paramedic asked Kathleen, a three (3) year old girl to hold a flashlight high over her mommy so he could see while he helped deliver the baby. Very diligently, Kathleen did as she was...

Partial Power Outage [ 5 Answers ]

I have lost power to only three outlets in my home. Two exterior outlets and one garage outlet. In the same area, the overhead lights are working as well as the garage door. The garage outlet is connected to a refrigerator. These circuts are connected to a GFCI in a bathroom which I checked...

Power Outage [ 4 Answers ]

The upstairs of my house consists of two rooms that are powered by two 20 amp breakers which are tied together. A few days ago one of the rooms lost all power while the other room continues to work fine. The power is still out and I have reset the breaker several times and this doesn't work. ...

AC after power outage [ 2 Answers ]

After coming back from a family trip, we found that there had been a power outage. Several breakers were off position and some electronics (especially telephone) are completely dead. Now, after resetting the breakers, all the power problems are OK except AC. The control panel of AC seems...

View more questions Search