Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ngc5914 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2014, 03:58 PM
    Crossing border w/ canadian girlfriend?
    Hi,

I (american) met my canadian girlfriend a couple of years ago when we were both living in europe. I moved back to the states, and she decided to join me. After she arrived in Canada, I drove to visit her, and pick up some of her stuff (she'd be taking the bus to the states to stay with me while she looked for a TN-status job). When I crossed over the border back to the states, CBP found a suitcase with women's clothing in it, and detained me to find out what the deal was. I told them the truth, namely that she was going to stay with me and look for a TN-status job, and that she intended to return to canada - I want to join her there in the long run. Regardless, they told me that I was nevertheless violating the law by transporting someone else's stuff with the intent to immigrate, and denied the suitcase entry - and crucially they took down my girlfriend's name and presumably wrote down my story.

I dropped off the suitcase with a canadian friend living near the border and proceeded to enter the US unhindered. My girlfriend took the bus and crossed with no issue, and stayed with me a couple of months while looking for a job. She got an offer, went back to Canada to visit family, and picked up the TN with no problem at the airport. She has since visited Canada again once by plane and re-entered the USA with no issue. I also visited once by car (alone), and was readmitted without issue to the US - though the officer did appear to read my file for a while.

My question arises from a potential road-trip we plan to take next month, starting in the USA, driving through Canada, re-entering the USA at a different point, and driving back through the USA. Given these anecdotes, is it a bad idea to cross back into the USA together? I know that having an existing TN status doesn't mean they can't deny her entry. I am quite worried that they will read my file, realize who she is, and deny her entry based on intent to immigrate. She does not own property in Canada, though she maintains Canadian bank accounts and drivers' license.

Would you recommend that we travel separately for the crossing back into the USA from Canada? I'd just book her a flight or a bus for that leg of the journey.

Thank you in advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2014, 04:39 PM
    Together or separate, makes no difference, if her name is on list for some reason, it will show up as such.

Also, less is always best. Never, never, keep talking.
    1. question, who does suitcase belong to: girlfriend.
    2. where is she. : she will join me later.

That is it. Too late now, but people cause their own trouble by thinking for some reason our government is there to help them. And telling all the story or truth is a good thing.
    ngc5914 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2014, 04:58 PM
    Thanks for your response. I am indeed aware that my over-offering of info caused this problem... suffice it to say, lesson learned.

However, the fact that she got the TN after this event and crossed the border by herself twice more makes me think that she isn't on a list - but if she crosses physically with me, a cbp officer accessong my record plus her presence could trigger a denial when we attempt to cross.

I suppose this is really our call as the officers have so much individual discretion, but any other advice or opinioms are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Candian Border Crossing [ 5 Answers ]

My search has sent me to this website. Thank God! Could someone please explain to me if this is true. I was arrested in 1998 and the charges were two weeks later dropped. No more arrest ever and now I am a professional with full time profession for over 20 years. Stable life. I had a FBI# for...

Border crossing with a felony [ 6 Answers ]

If you have a dwi in canada 9 years old and you have an indian status card can you still cross over the U.S border for a visit

Crossing the border [ 4 Answers ]

Can I cross the border into Canada and return to the US on my green card only? My passport expired in May 2009 and is in the process of renewing.

Crossing the candian border [ 1 Answers ]

OK my name is Matt... I am on probation for possession and distribution for 2 years. I live a little outside of Detroit, MI and I used to go to canada to gamble and drink. I know friends that have gotten across the border while on probation which I also no is illegal. My question is if I go...

Usa border crossing [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a metis I have a status card, my quistion is I tried cross the usa border and was refused enter,, they said I did'nt look indain and it might be a fake card,, I have documents going back 13 generations my mom birth card her statis card and my brothers to my mom and brothers are a photo copy of...

View more questions Search