Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    upperhandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 02:54 PM
    2001 Hyundai Accent timing/starting problem
    2001 Hyundai Accent 1.5L. My timing belt tensioner broke, and my engine died at idle (although it had been making a thumping around at low rpm for a few days which would go away as the rpms increased). Changed my timing belt, set timing on camshaft and crankshaft. Reinstalled alternator belt and spark plugs and wires. Tried to start the engine but it sounds as though only the starter is running. I get none of the engine sound (vroom) I would expect. Any ideas?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
    Your Hyundai Accent is likely an interference engine and significant internal damage took place, when the tensioner broke. Remove the spark plugs and check each cylinder's compression. My bet is that, unfortunately, compression will be real low.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
    Sadly, all Hyundai engines are interference engines and as such, you probably have damaged pistons and/or valves.
    Imacrown Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
    Right but he said he is hearing the starter sound!
    Recheck your timing belt. Sounds like only crank is spinning to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hyundai accent 2004 starting problems [ 10 Answers ]

My hyundai accent 2004 standart doesn't start. The engine crank, but there's no fire. I change the camshaft and crankshaft sensor. Also change my timing belt, my alternator, my starter, my control box and my computer. But if I pull the car with my pickup, it runs. While the engine is running, the...

I have a 2001 hyundai tiburon that the timing belt broke on It does not have a 4.0 e [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2001 hyundai Tiburon that the timing belt broke on. It is a 6 cylinder not a 4. Is this still an interference engine

Speedometer not working on a hyundai accent [ 0 Answers ]

My speedodmeter is not working and my airbag light is on ? I have a 2003 hyundai accent 1.4l dohc.

Ask experts about hyundai accent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, 1.do cars guzzle more petrol in AC with higher blower speeds. 2.rear defogger how to check for its functioning? 3.how do I know about shockobserver in my vehicle is OK what is periodic maintenance 4.what brand of wipers is best for my vehicle because the one I use is not clear in vision...

02 hyundai accent [ 3 Answers ]

I am working on a 02 accent that the heater stopped blowing air. I have replace the switch, fan motor, and the heater resister. What else could it be?

View more questions Search