Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brian82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 12:29 AM
    2003 Toyota Echo. Rear right brake light works, signal does not.
    I have a 2003 Toyota Echo which I am having a big pain with. The right rear turn signal is out but the brake light is working therefor I am assuming the wiring is sending a current to the rear with them being on the same wiring system. The front right signal light and dash light blinks very fast. I replaced bulbs in both front right and rear right signals as it was my first guess(im sure this would be the first guess of 99% people with this issue) and still no luck. My next guess would be a bad relays switch, ground, etc. But I haven't the first clue on where to find these problems to fix them as I am no mechanic when it comes to electrical issues. Anyone have suggestions?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 10, 2011, 07:26 AM
    So the brake light works, the turn signal doesn't, you replaced the bulbs and still have the same issue... correct?

What you're describing is most often from the bulb being bad. Assuming you have the right bulb in there, the next thing is there is a bad ground or connection in the socket.

Pull the bulb out of the right rear and look at the socket for corrosion. You will want to look at the sides of the socket which is the ground as well as the contacts at the base of the socket. You may need to replace the socket completely.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Yes, a turn signal bulb is just a single filament bulb so be sure that is correct.
    If your 4 way flasher, and left signal work correctly, then the flasher and switch are OK.
    You have now contained the problem down to a small area. The right turn signal socket or bulb.
    I tell you, the best tool in the box can be a simple 12V test light. Go get one. I've even seen them in the supermarket isle.
    You can check the power and actually see the test light flashing. (TL grounded)
    You can switch to the ground side (TL powered) and see the ground side flashing.
    You will now be sure the power and ground is there and relieve all the guess work.
    I recently used just a simple test light on an old T-100 for no dash lights or heater control panel lights.
    Narrowed it down to a simple dimmer switch because I found all the power and grounds I needed to see in the places they were suppose to be.
    You can find electrical fun and easy with just simple tools. Follow expert advice using test lights and multimeters in these threads and you can't go wrong.

Sep 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
    The signal bulb is a two filament bulb. I know the bulb isn't the problem as I have replaced the front right and rear right signal bulbs. I did also check for a corrosive bulb and socket and everything is clean as a whistle. The actual connectors in the socket all look fine as well so I am kind of baffled as to what the problem is. Im not an electrical mechanic at all. I didn't realize until today that also the right rear reverse light is out as well. So I have a working parking light, brake light but no signal or reverse light on the right rear.

Sep 11, 2011, 08:46 PM
    Actually I need to make a correction. The right rear is a single filament. The front right is the two filament bulb.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2011, 05:28 AM
    The right rear you'll be looking at a socket with a green wire with yellow stripe, and the ground wire being white with a black stripe for the turn signal bulb.
    Remember, it's possible to get a bad bulb new. Try another.
    Albealej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Hi Brian. I'm having the same problem you had on your Toyota Echo. My turn signal won't work even after putting a new bulb and switching sockets. Can you please tell me how you fixed your problem? I'm thinking a wire is not grounded properly. Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 2, 2012, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Albealej View Post
    Hi Brian. I'm having the same problem you had on your Toyota Echo. My turn signal won't work even after putting a new bulb and switching sockets. Can you please tell me how you fixed your problem? I'm thinking a wire is not grounded properly. Thanks
    You have tested the replacement socket for both power and ground?
    Are both present?
    Albealej Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Yes. But I figured it out though. The rear lights are all in one circuit. If one socket is not completely making contact that will not allow the electrical signal to pass on to the next socket. In my case I had changed out my brake light and did not tightened the socket correctly. The electrical current was not able to reach the Next socket for the turn signal. That was also the case for my reverse light not working. Thanks for the help. I'm glad it was something this simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turn siginal 2003 toyota echo [ 3 Answers ]

Right rear turn signal will not flicker. New bulb. With headlights on. Bulb does Light up, but will not flicker. With headlights off directional bulb will not light at all.

'99 Civic Rear Brake question. I need to replace my rear brake shoes on a '99... [ 1 Answers ]

'99 Civic Rear Brake question. I need to replace my rear brake shoes on a '99 Honda Civic. I have never changed them before and I am wondering the difficulty level of changing them. The mechanic is charging around $250 and I asked AutoZone and their prices is $15.99 per shoe so I'm thinking it...

2003 toyota echo plastic bumper [ 1 Answers ]

On the passenger side the molded bumper unsnapped from a plastic railing. It has no damaged. It just un -poped. I wonder how to connect the bumper back On the plastic bracket? Its about a 1" away from the bracket. But I don't see how It connects??

2003 toyota echo [ 1 Answers ]

Is the spare tire rim 14" like the rest of the rims on the car. I know the tire is smaller. But is the rim the same as the other rims. Rim on car is bent. Unable to find rim anywhere. Not in stock

View more questions Search