Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jan 31, 2011, 11:28 AM
    How can you tell if you have bad rims or tires
    I have a wabol in the front end and the allignment was double checked and it is that the tires are wobbling a bit. I went to where I bought the tires from and they said we can't tell if it is the rims or the tires. The rims were mounted and spun to show me the run out it didn't appear to be significant. If I replaced the tires like they suggested and it's the rims it will a mistake. They said it could be a broken band in the tire also and they would prorate the tire.

How can I be sure it is the tire or rim and not something else. The tire place said they really were not sure but they would prorate the tires if I wanted. This way it cost me about 170.00 for two tires.

I checked on line and they said a tire dealer can determine which the problem is since I was already at a tire dealer. I thought I'll ask a question and go from there.

The car has 160,000 miles and I've been keeping on the road by getting junk yard parts.
    I know I need another car soon.

What would be the risk if I just drove it with the little wabble in the steering wheel? I'm assuming the rims are perhaps running out less that an 1/8 maybe even a 1/16 when spun with out the tire? What is exceptable for it to run out when spun?

I bought the tires November 2008 seventythousand mile tires. I have put on about 35,000 miles rotated them regularly. They said there was more wear than there should have been for that amount of miles could that indicate another problem?

My goal is to get another car and use this one for a back up?

I'm thinking if it's the rims I go junk yard and get them. If it turns out it's the tires I make the better of the two choices prorate or get some used. I'm trying to keep the cost down and at the same time keep the ship(car) sea worthy!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 12:50 PM

It could be the rims or it could be the tires. It could be a little of both but more of one and less of the other.
    Online, it's impossible to tell.
    In the shop, it's not always easier.
    I've seen tires that came in on a car that looked terrible when spun on the balancer yet the driver said they ride great. This often depends on the car and the operator.
    I've also found tires that looked great but gave such a horrible ride that I warrantied them off the car before I gave the car back to the customer.
    That is/was often due to manufacturing methods. Explaining all this and the diagnostic steps would be lengthy and boring. Suffice it to say that it's labor intensive and time consumming and what looks good in the shop doesn't always ride good down the road.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 31, 2011, 01:13 PM
    If you have had the wheels and tires rebalanced and the wobble is still there, it could be bad struts. I had a 1995 Nissan Altima that had a similar problem. Brand new Eagle GT's and custom alloy rims... would not stop wobbling... Ou of curiosity I removed one of the struts and sure as silk, the strut had absolutely no resistance to it. Replaced both front struts and it rides smooth as BUTTA'!!

Feb 1, 2011, 06:38 AM
    Comment on CaptainRich's post
    Makes sense going to follow up. Thanks.

Feb 1, 2011, 06:42 AM
    Comment on Handyman2007's post
    I'll have the tires and wheels rebalanced and check for the wobble. I'll double check about the struts. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2011, 09:41 AM
    Turned out to be tires poor alignment over the years bought three new tires fourth was purchased last summer same type as the other new three.

Jul 3, 2011, 05:37 PM
    Comment on illinois1's post
    In addition after the tires were replaced I found I needed new struts. This should solve the steering problem.
    Tami Day Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
    I have a 2006 Grand Prix, 92,000.00 miles. I was driving approximately 45 miles an hour the front end started vibrating like the tires were going to fall off. I immediately drove to the dealership. They replaced hubs and bearings. Two weeks later the same thing happened. Back to the dealership, they said the tires needed alignment. One week later the same thing. Back to the dealership, mechanics could not find anything wrong. Suggested to rotate tires. Second time I drove it at 50 mph the back end started vibrating however, it was nothing like it did before. I need your advice, thanks so much.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2013, 07:15 PM
    Tami Day, the front and rear struts are likely shot. Typically, as cars approach 100,000 milles, front and rear struts, front and rear wheel bearings, lower ball joints, and sway bar end links need to be replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will these tires fit my rims? [ 2 Answers ]

I've got 235- 80- R16 tires on my truck right now that are in pretty rough shape. I've been offered a set of used, but in better shape, 225-70-R16 tires. Will these fit until I can spring for some new tires of the correct size? Thanks.

Rims and Tires - Are they still good after sitting for 3-years [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter totaled her 2001 Tiburon - rolled it... luckily nobody hurt. Anyway, she had real nice Motegi rims and new Potenza tires. They have been sitting in my garage for almost 3-years. Are they still good?? One of the rims had weeds between the tire and rim, and the rim has some...

View more questions Search