Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Afreeyeh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2010, 04:27 PM
    How to gain positive body-image and confidence?
    When every where you go and everyone around you tell you negative things about your body?
    It hurts worst especially when boys pick on my physical appearance. I'm 5'3, weigh 98 Ibs so I'm not curvy and a lot of boys at school including girls point me out on spot and lash insults.
    They come to me out of no where asking if I eat or ask me ifI know what a buffet is etc..
    I can't help it I have a fast metabolism and I do eat. It gets worse because I'm BLACK an SKINNY. In black culture being skinny is not and never will be beautiful. Black boys don't like and never will go for a "bony" girl because they never look past a big butt.

I also come from a haitian family. And in Haitian culture a skinny woman/girl is not considered beautiful but to hide your body in disgrace. We are called "sesh" which means similar to dry(not juicy) in creole.. So basically my parents also put me down and find names for me when their angry at me for something. Sometimes my mom gets embarrassed to be with me in public if I'm wearing certain clothes that show how skinny I am. Instead In her bad taste of clothes that she dubs "good" I have to wear baggy stuff. Very rarely I find an outfit that's well-fitted that she approves of. My mom forces me to wear extra layer of pants under a dress so that my butt looks bigger (no joke). She won't let me out of the house if don't wear the layers.
    6 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 05:39 PM

Im going to guess and say that you may be a teen? And your still in the growing stages. As time passes by your looks are going to change and nature will take its course. So long as your eating healthy then that is really all you need to be worried about. In many cultures the reason why heavier people are looked at different is it is a sign of affluence at one time. Just like having a tan was considered "lower class". Be yourself. And trust in yourself. There is nothing wrong with you. Don't try to live up to the expectations of others just because they want you to. If you try that you will get depressed because nothing will be good enough. Some parents push for music and their children just don't have that talant in them. Nothing to be ashamed about. Your at a stage in life where you look like you do and that's really all you can do. Believe in yourself. When the boys turn to men that is when you will be apreciated for who you are and not just what you look like. Look at how Michael Obama looks. And she wants children to lose weight because it makes them more healthy. So your ahead of the game. Be yourself.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Dec 21, 2010, 09:12 AM

Though you may feel that you eat a lot, it might not actually be a lot. Why not consult a nutritionalist to see what your food intake really is. Furthermore, it's always good to exercise, it will make you even hungrier.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2010, 10:33 AM

How to Look Good Naked - Channel 4

The above link is too a programme called 'how to look good naked' I have researched it and know the programme well,it is suitable for teens and older age group,even though the title may seem a little iffy,its perfectly 'P.C'

You are who you are,your body makeup is mostly dictated by your genetics,however how you view yourself makes a big difference to how to present yourself to the world.

I was confused if you are male or female but the link I gave is for both genders,just play around in the site to find what your looking for.

Most teens male and female have body issues,no matter what your culture is. You are not alone.

Change how you view your body,find your best assets and work those.
    LightCross Posts: 87, Reputation: 29

Jan 6, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Actually I experience about simlar probs with you, I have fast metabolism and somehow underweight although I should admit that the environment I live in isn't as harsh as you, I can say that the environment you live in now really give bad effect on you because they see you on physical matters which shatter yourself esteem bit by bit.The best solutions for now is ignoring negative opinions from people around you and stick to people you comfortable with and welcome you just fine, meanwhile try to workout your body also, it will be a slow process due to fast metabolism but it isn't impossible, I was in same boat as you and I know exactly how you feel, and trust me listening to whatever bad comments they rub on you won't do any good because you are you, you are unique,special. Everything has its own beauty but not everybody sees it, stick with those people who see and appreciate the beauty in you.
    goSammygirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
    It's always difficult to focus on nurturing a positive body image in yourself when there's negativity like that around you, but it's NOT impossible! You can do it, and I'm glad you are taking steps now to help prevent it from getting to you. If you're still young your body has a lot of changing left to do, it will fill out as you get older don't worry. You can create a positive body mantra for yourself which could help a lot. For example "I am beautiful the way I am." "I will only grow stronger." etc. You can mold it to what you feel you need the most. Your cultural upbringing sounds much different than mine, so I want to make sure I don't give you any backwards advice; but one thing I always seem to find tried and true is if you've got a great personality it can outshine the flaws people see in your body. Stay strong girl, don't let it get to you! I hope everything improves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After being cheated on, how do I overcome jealousy and gain self confidence? [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been with a guy for over ten years now. Two years ago he cheated on me. Six months after he did we got back together. Every since then we have great days where nothing else matters but us. On other days I worry.Lately my thoughts are"what if he finds something in another girl again". A perfect...

Some ways to gain confidence and self-esteem? [ 4 Answers ]

What are some ways someone can gain confidence and self-esteem in a relationship? And why does a person bursting with endless confidence and self-esteem seem to flop when they get into a serious relationship becoming jealous... clingy.. and attached ? Just want to hear everyone's advice on this...

Gain more confidence [ 2 Answers ]

I have very low confidence and self esteem. I find it really hard to love myself and need constant approval from others. Ive tried self help books and hypnotherapy neither of which seem to have made any difference. Does anybody out there have any other ideas of things that I could try.

Yes, self-confidence, be positive.but HOW? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I know this question has been asked a hundred times on this site alone. In fact, it's probably a question that all of us must answer for ourselves at some point in our development--problem is, some get a handle on it sooner than others. I tend to fall in the latter category. I was...

How to gain self confidence and how to maintain that ? [ 19 Answers ]

How to gain self confidence and how to maintain that for future ?

View more questions Search