Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spytalk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2006, 05:31 AM
    Tenant Claims Lease Is Not Valid
    Hello, I am managing only one property in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma for a friend of the family and today one of the tenants told me over the phone the lease is not valid because I am not a real estate professional. (1) Is this tenant's statement invalid and (2) can I have the tenants evicted for (3) a hostile tone directed at me over the phone regarding sewer repair and/or (4) evicted for making such the verbal statement that the lease is not valid. Thanks.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 06:13 AM
    Hello:

>>>Is this tenant's statement invalid<<< The statement is not true.

>>>can I have the tenants evicted for a hostile tone directed at me over the phone regarding sewer repair<<< NO!!

>>>evicted for making such the verbal statement that the lease is not valid<<< NO!!

READ your states landlord/tenant law. It's not written in legalese. It's easy to understand, and most importantly, it WILL answer your questions.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2006, 06:20 AM
    I'm curious as to WHY this tenant has made these statements? A lease is a contract between two people; the owner/manager of the property and the tenant. BOTH parties sign and agree to the provisions of the lease. The only thing that would make a lease invalid is if it contained clauses that violated existing laws.

The only reasons a tenant can be evicted is for violating the terms of the lease. I very much doubt if the lease says anything about the teanant being rude, hostile or abusive to you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2006, 06:57 AM
    You do not have to be an agent to execute a Lease.

No you cannot evict him for being rude.

If he is an undesirable tenant and on month to month, you can simply not renew the lease and give him a notice of non-renewal. If he ignores it, you file eviction.

OK's Landlord-Tenant laws are not online for reading from start to finish, but they do have a search tool for them:
    http://oklegal.onenet.net/statutes.basic.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2006, 08:03 AM
    I only wish you could evict someone over being rude or even down right hostile.

But yes the lease is valid, it is merely a contract between two parties, one does not have to be a "profefssional" or hold any specific licence to rent, lease property.

As a mangager or agent for the owner, you are representing the owner, but is also a problem because often you don't have the authority to fix things unless the owner says to fix them.

Now you also have requirements to keep the house fixed to certain levels''

If you have sewer issues they will need to be addressed, ( you did not mention what issues where going on)

You merely need to tell the tenant to shut up and abide by the lease.
    And let them know you will hang up on them anytime they use bad or rude words when talking to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Of course if you want them out, find a reason to evict them with the terms of the lease, are they late paying, do you charge them late fees, are they keeping the house in "order" or neat ( whatever clause like that is in your lease to be sure they keep the property looking nice)

And if they are saying the lease is not valid, perhaps they are wanting to move, you are permitted to allow them to break the lease without penalty if you want to. I have people from time to time wanting to buy a house, or wanting to move for a job, and I let them out of the lease without penalty ( just call me a soft)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the Debt valid? You must ask! [ 12 Answers ]

Posted for those who wish to use, not legal advice, just verification of debt. QUESTIONS TO ASK DEBT COLLECTOR WITH YOU DISPUTE THEIR CLAIM. Debt collector name Address state RE; Account

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Valid lease [ 4 Answers ]

We have been in a rental house for a few months now. The landlord signed a lease before he sent it to us. We made some modifications, initialed the modifications, signed the new modified version of the lease and sent it back to the landlord with the deposit. He now says that none of the...

Is this lease valid? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I own a home that we rent out. My husband signed a 1 year lease (without my signature) with 4 people contingnet on there credit checks and income verification. My husband signed the lease with them on the 30th and we denied them on the 31st. They lease was to begin on the 1st. They...

Is this lease valid? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I both own a home which we rent out. Both our names are on the lease. Do we both need to sign the lease for it to be valid? :rolleyes:

View more questions Search