Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miia Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Force of Gravity
    A hollow tube is cored out through the center of the Earth to the opposite side. You jump into the tube and begin falling to the earth. When you are half way to the center how would the force of gravity at that point compare to what it was when you were on the surface.. would it be higher, lower, or the same as the surface gravity.
    bignaked101 Posts: 151, Reputation: 6
    -

Oct 18, 2007, 08:13 PM
    It would be very much higher, considering that if you are traveling down a tube for that long, the air resistance would break, and you would reach terminal velocity.

But if you are talking about JUST gravity, then the gravity down there would be MUCH higher considering that it is the core of the earth that pulls us down.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2007, 11:45 PM
    At the center of the Earth, the gravitational force would be zero. All the mass pulling you down would have the same force as all the mass pulling you up.
    -

Oct 19, 2007, 11:32 AM
    I don't know man I'm not a science geek.. I was just guessing...
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 11:38 AM
    What's geeky about studying science?
    -

Oct 19, 2007, 11:50 AM
    It's just not my cup of tea... Nothing is geeky about it... but if you over do anything you are a geek of that specific subject... I'm not calling you a geek either... I'm just saying if I was a geek about anything it would be surfing that's it...
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Isn't guessing a fairly poor practice on a site where people will be expecting correct answers?

:)
    -

Oct 19, 2007, 04:37 PM
    The practice of trying to help people out isn't poor at all though.. so Touché

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Gravity [ 5 Answers ]

If 2 objects of different weight are thrown from equal height , which will reach the earth first, the heavier object or the lighter object, or both will reach at same time. :)

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

If a person were weighed at the North Pole, would he weigh more than if he were weighed at the equator? How about if he were on an elevator to the center of the Earth, would he weigh more or less as he descended? Just curious. Hank

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

How does the spinning of a planit affect its gravity.

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

At a certain point between the earth and the moon, the gravitational attraction towards the earth is exactly balanced by the gravitational attraction towards the moon. If a spacecraft is at that certain point, what is its distance from the center of the earth?

View more questions Search