Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ally_33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
    SetBrowser 1.4 wreaking havoc BLOCKING Firefox 2
    How can I manually uninstall SetBrowser 1.4? :confused: :confused:

On 9-13-07 I installed AT&T DSL. I immediately could not connect via Firefox 2.0.0.6. I have had Firefox for 3 years. Only can connect through IE. AT&T=Cannot help you. After 3 days I took the leap and downloaded SetBrowser 1.4. Still did not help. I installed and uninstalled Firefox 3 or 4 times. All that kept happening was: SetBrowser 1.4 installation dialogue box keeps opening up. I double clicked the Mozilla FF icon, only 1.4 box opened. This happens on different links. Can't open link in email, 1.4 installation dialogue box pops open instead. I set up 1.4 numerous times. It will not work. I cannot find HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy File. I do have the Secure HyperText Transfer Protocol File. Despite research, I'm not able to ascertain if these two files are "one in the same." Does anyone know if they are? I completed the “open/edit action” in Folder Options for URL, HTM, HTML, SHTML and Firefox and Thunderbird related Files. Should I perform the perform “open/edit” actions on any other File Types listed under Folder Options? E-mail content with "$" symbols displays as "%". News content incorrectly diplays "&apos" where an apostrophe ";" should be. This is constant throughout news from AP, UPI, etc. Firefox is currently Uninstalled. I would like to manually remove stbrws14.exe from the registry. Can anyone advise me how to do it? I have not edited the registry before. I've researched for several days concerning this. I cannot find instructions. I do not want to download an uninstaller for this. I emailed the author of 1.4 twice. After removing it, my plan is to: Uninstall DSL, connect back to Firefox, then reinstall DSL and see what happens?? Any advice, what do you think? Thanks you very much.

Windows XP SP2
    Intel®
    Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    256 MB RAM
    60 GB HD
    SabbzR Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Sep 23, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Have you checked to make sure that Firefox is searching for a connection? In many cases, you can set the browser to automatically find a connection.

That AT&T DSL software sounds incredibly dodgy, try downloading a program call Cleanse Uninstaller. It will completely remove any program you tell it too, and I mean COMPLETELY! It looks for any files related to that application and deletes them, but it first asks you to check if there are any files that you would like to keep. Like if removing MS Office, it will select all documents and excel files including your own stuff - so make sure that you go through the list and make sure it hasn't chosen any files you want to keep.

You said: "AT&T=Cannot help you. " if you mean that they simply say: "we dunno!" I suggest changing providers to someone or does actually know what they are doing. :)

"After removing it, my plan is to: Uninstall DSL, connect back to Firefox, then reinstall DSL and see what happens??? Any advice, what do you think? " I doubt very much if that would help you since that is what has already happened correct? Instead, try uninstalling firefoox and dsl and that setbrowser thing. Reinstall DSL, then once you have a connection with Internet Explorer, install Firefox and let it automatically find a connection for you. See if that helps?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Start/control panel/add remove programs

Remove SetBrowser 1.4

Sep 25, 2007, 12:21 AM
    [QUOTE=SabbzR]Have you checked to make sure that Firefox is searching for a ][connection? In many cases, you can set the browser to automatically find a connection.]

Can you explain more? Prior to AT&T DSL. I have always had Firefox set as the default browser. Now the Default setting is permanently set @ "Use my current Web browser". I've changed it back to Firefox, but since AT&T install - the Default setting keeps changing back to "Use my current Web browser". Is this what you mean?

[You said: "AT&T=Cannot help you. " if you mean that they simply say: "we dunno!" I ][suggest changing providers to someone or does actually know what they are doing. :)]

I should have said AT&T=Will not help you. AT&T tech support will only help you with issues concerning two browsers: 1. AT&T/Yahoo Browser or IE Browser. For Mozilla they informed me several times "you need to contact Mozilla". I did. I have posted in the Mozilla forum. No response, yet. I've had Firefox for a long time with little or no problems. It's no coincidence, the problem began after DSL Install. Out of desperation, I downloaded stbrws14.exe [42 KB] and things went from bad to worse.

Thank you for referring "Cleanse Unistaller", along with "make sure it hasn't chosen any files you want to keep". At this point, I'm a little concerned about using an uninstaller because of the slight possibility files may have changed during the install of stbrws14.exe that were unrelated to the installation. Therefore, undoing those files might cause some harm to my computer. If that makes any sense? Yes, I know I may have to do exactly what you said sooner or later. The .exe is permeated in several different folders, system 32, etc.

I wish I had known about an Application Uninstaller called ZSoft Uninstaller. This Free software needs to be used before you install from a company, it takes a snapshot both before and after the installation of the new program and then does a comparison to find what's changed.

If all else fails, AT&T will be getting their modem sent back to them and I will be doing a chargeback on my credit card for a complete refund of modem and shipping costs.

Thanks again.

Sep 25, 2007, 12:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Start/control panel/add remove programs

Remove SetBrowser 1.4

It's not in add/remove programs.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my toilet blocking up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Just recently, when I get out of the shower, the water level in my toilet is right down & is making a 'glupping' sound. Probably air passing through the pipe down at the water level. Then when I flush, it fills up to a high level! Before returning down to it's "too low" level so it can...

Blocking a web page - Firefox [ 4 Answers ]

I want to simply block a webpage. I'm using Firefox. This may be simple, but I could use a little help. Thanks.

Blocking Websites [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way, on Internet Explorer, or Firefox, to block websites? I am sick of being embarrassed because my IP log count is so high on people's blogs that I no longer have contact with, due to differences. I think there is, but I can't seem to find it, only an option in which to tag sites so...

Blocking Sites [ 4 Answers ]

I have Windows XP and for an internet browser I'm using Microsoft Internet Explorer. What I need help with is: I need to learn how to block X-Rated sites. I found out how to block a specific website BUT I need to know how to put a limit on web searching. PLEASE HELP! :confused:

Blocking Websites [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to stop anybody that goes on my computer from accessing www.kazza.com Or from accessing Yahoo messenger??

View more questions Search