Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kfgold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Problem getting SS benefits at age 62
    I own a small liquor store which I have run for over 40 years. I’m 62 and my wife is 59. My son is in the business and he is 29. I applied for social security after I turned the business over to my wife. We purchased a home in Florida and I will be spending up to 2 weeks a month there. I intend to continue to work occasionally but will not earn more than $12,000 per year.

I was denied benefits since my wife is now working full time. Has anyone had a similar problem and what should I do in order to get the benefits that I am entitled to?

I’m looking forward to hearing back with some ideas.
    Joe E Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Social Security is applying their "questioable retirement" procedures to you. Because you own a business, you must prove to them that the value of the services you provide for the business are low enough to allow payment of benefits to you. The claim should NOT be denied for that reason. What they should do is "AWARD" you benefits, but not pay them due to your work and earnings. The advice in either case is the same: Appeal the decision and submit whatever evidence they request to show the value of your services to the business. If your claim was awarded but not paid, submit a report of your earnings for any past year, and estimate for the current year. That will force SSA to make another determination, and you will have appeal rights on that determination. If your claim was truly denied, submit an appeal of the denial along with your earnings information. Your reason for appeal should be something like "My current work and earnings are not a valid reason to deny my claim. Furthermore, my earnings, or the value of my services to the business, are low enough to allow payment of benefits to me."
    I hope this helps. I have worked for SSA over 30 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends with benefits? [ 20 Answers ]

Over the last couple months I have been in a rollercoaster relationship with my ex. After about 6 weeks separated we decided to give it another try and it was barely a week together until she decided she needed more time. We decided to take a break for the summer and see how we felt in a while....

"Dark Age" or "Golden Age" of Human Existence? [ 3 Answers ]

History shows us over and over that all great civilizations eventually come to an end. It stands then that our Civilization (as we know it) will come to an end sometime as well. Do you think the world is slipping into a "Dark Age", or are we about to emerge into a "Golden Age" ? We seem to...

What is [ 26 Answers ]

What is “friends with benefits” about and why do some women want these kind of relationships? Are they healthy relationships? What happens if the guy falls in love with a woman who only wants this kind of relationship?

401K Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid off from his job due to downsizing in April of 2005. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received a notification in the mail that the company had taken back all of their matched contributions to his 401K. Is this legal?

Age problem [ 24 Answers ]

Hi Please help me out here, I am really tensed, I am 15 but everyone says to me that you look about 11-12, so please give me tips to grow really really fast and look older than my age, please I really apreiciate that, I have came 2 this web site only for your help... IF U Won't HELP ME... THEN...

View more questions Search