Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grazor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2016, 08:15 PM
    2002 ford Escape 4wd Auto - cant get any gears to work
    Cant get it to go into any gear.
    When you move the selector the engine changes revs slightly but not even a jerk like its going into gear. This is with Revere as well.
    I drained the oil it was every Burnt and replaced with new oil.
    I don't know the history about the car I bought it with this problem.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2016, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grazor View Post
    Cant get it to go into any gear.
    When you move the selector the engine changes revs slightly but not even a jerk like its going into gear. This is with Revere as well.
    I drained the oil it was every Burnt and replaced with new oil.
    I don't know the history about the car I bought it with this problem.
    What you bought was a vehicle with a burned out transmission. You now either need a re-manufactured transmission (better) or a good used one.
    Grazor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2016, 11:10 AM
    So what is wrong with the transmission. If I take the bx out is there anything I can do to get the gears to work at least ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2016, 11:26 AM
    Nope. Clutches at the very least are shot, probably the steels as well. Yes automatics have clutches... plural. THey have very little material on them so when they are gone..they are gone.

Rebuilding an automatic transmission isn't for the inexperienced.

There are only two things I have not done on a car or truck yet. #1 set up a new ring and pinion, #2. Rebuild an automatic transmission. (I have rebuilt several Manual transmissions however)

Burned fluid was the dead giveaway.

You will be replacing the transmission or paying a pro to have this one rebuilt. There however is no quick or cheap fix.

Never buy a used vehicle even if its still running with burned smelling fluid. Thats how you know the transmission has one foot in the grave. Or if it won't move.....Both feet in it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2016, 01:05 PM
    Smoothly is right. In addition, Escapes have a history of problems with their ATXs. On most of them, you cannot drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and refill with Mercon V. This leads to problems, since most FWD vehicles should have this done every 30,000 miles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Escape, 2002 [ 8 Answers ]

I got into my car to go to work, put my vehicle into drive, stepped on the gas, and nothing It felt like I had it on neutral. The R, 2, and 1 work but not the D gear. Can you let me know what is going on. Thnaks:

2002 Escape, V6, FWD -- Auto Transmission Rough [ 3 Answers ]

Transmission seems to be sluggish andvibrates when moving between gears at about 40-45 and 60-65. This has been the case for several years now, but recently towed a U-Haul trialor and it seems to have worsened and at times makes a noise for say 10-15 seonds that sound and feels like y9ou are...

2002 ford escape transaxle? [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought a 02 ford escape, took word from owner, said it only needed fuel pump, replaced it and fuel filter got engine running fine, then put it in gear , would not move , has reverse , it works fine! but found out it sat for almost a year, backed it around yard a little , then put in drive, it...

2002 ford escape [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 ford escape, the automaic door opener will not open the read hatchback, I have checked the fuses under the hood and everything is OK, is there anythere fusebox that I am not aware of. Also how do you open the read hatchback without the remote.

I have a 2002 Ford Escape with a 3.0L V6 [ 1 Answers ]

My car has been idling really low and seems to hesitate a little when I hit the gas. Most importantly it has been sucking through gas really quick. In the last 3 days I put $130 dollars in for gas. It's not leaking gas underneath and I don't smell gas. Could the mass air flow censor be a...

View more questions Search