Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ek1civic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 12:01 PM
    Idle searching, check engine codes, and electrical issues
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX, I recently noticed belt whine and saw my top alternator bolt fell out. After I put it back in, the belt whine went away for a couple days then returned. A couple days after it returned my battery light came on, the day after my battery light came on my car went seriously crazy. When I start my car it idle searches from about 1,200-600 RPM, every time it idles down the check engine light clicks on, I can hear it clicking at the ECU. After about 40 seconds the idle smooths out, then the check enging light comes on steady and I lose power at my tach, about 30 seconds later my temp gauge loses power. It is an automatic transmission, the gear light indicators around D, D3, a 2 are not working (my brake safety switch is also clicking for about a minute or 2) but the lights around park, reverse, and neutral are working. When this started happening, my car shifts hard in to reverse and drive, goes into park and neutral just fine, also in drive, I'm not getting much power accelerating, it acts like it's staying in first gear. My fans are kicking on sporadically. I have pulled my alternator and had it tested at 2 different shops and it passed all tests, alternator fuse is good, ECU fuse is good. This one has me stumped as the check engine light flashes when the car starts no one can pull the code. Any ideas, input, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also the car is bone stock.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2010, 12:30 PM

. Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

. Perform the regulated battery voltage test, described in the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1973613

. Check the coolant level. Fill the radiator with coolant, until it comes out of the air bleeder bolt. Fluctuating idle is often caused by air in the system. This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2581995

. Get to the bottom of why you can't read codes. Clean the main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing. The ECM may be bad.

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 honda civic dx check engine light and error codes [ 12 Answers ]

Hi. I have a 90 Civic DX with 152K miles. The Check Engine Light now comes like clockwork after driving 6 or 7 miles. This has been happening for about a week so I took it to a mechanic yesterday. I could tell he wasn't real familiar with working on a car so old. He then pulled up the carpet on the...

1994 Civic Check Engine Light Codes [ 3 Answers ]

My check engine light (CEL) was on and I pulled the code. Does anyone know what code 22 represents?

2001 Honda Civic Slow to Idle down;Check engine light [ 7 Answers ]

My 2001 Civic HX presented a check engine light with OBD 2 Codes P1166 and P1167. Runs normal with the exception of not idling down after acceleration or reving the engine. RPM's come down to 1200-1500 (normal running temp) for up to a second before returning to normanl RPM, approximately 750. ...

93 Civic EX 4dr Check Engine Light, no codes, overheating [ 7 Answers ]

I own a 93 civic ex 4dr (all stock) and have had a check engine light problem with my vehicle ever since I got it back from the mechanic. The original problem was the main relay which I had figured and resoldered but the other problem behind it was the black/yellow cable going from the main relay...

View more questions Search