Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Afternoon Snack Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Toyota Tacoma engine malfunction in hot weather
    I drive a 2003 Tacoma 3.4L V6 automatic. For the past 3 years in the summer only I have had problems when accelerating from a stopped position. After hitting the accelerator the engine hesitates for several seconds and then will eventually begin to accelerate. It seems like the hotter and possibly more humid the weather the worse the problem. (I live in Georgia and summers can be pretty bad.) On the worst days my truck will hesitate for up to 30 seconds and will even hesitate while I'm moving.

I've had two dealerships and several small shops run diagnostics and everything comes back normal. The check engine light never illuminates. This is becoming kind of a dangerous problem.

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 6, 2009, 08:10 AM

Try replacing the spark plugs with the same brand (likely NGK) and plug no. that came in the truck--no cross-reference plugs! Apply a light coating of dielectric grease to the porcelein and a heavier counting to the main electrode. If the problem persists, wipe down the spark plug wires with silicone spray or just replace them. Replace platinum plugs every 40,000 miles.

This link might help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post520809
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 03:35 PM

You can try this yourself just for a test. Go to the electronics store and get some CRC electronics cleaner in a spray can.
    Pull out your Mass Air Flow sensor. (MAF) 2 screws, one connector, located just after the air filter box.
    Pull it out, spray the intake air temp sensor bulb, then look deep down inside it and look for the hot wire. Any dirt at all on that will give erratic maf readings so clean it good.
    Dry it all off. Disconnect your negative battery cable 1 minute, and go drive the heck out of it so it will relearn and maybe get your fuel trims back where they should be.
    If this 'test' brings better results, then the MAF really should be replaced. BTW, they don't like oil charged air filters like K&N. Good luck.

Jun 2, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Try replacing the spark plugs
    Thanks for the response to my question. I had the spark plugs replaced 15k miles ago at about 75k miles. This problem first arose the summer of 2006, before the spark plug change. I also threw a rod and blew a hole in my short block about a year after the hesitation problem started. The Toyota dealership did the repairs. I did, for a year or so, have a TRD oil-charged air filter, now I'm using paper filters (I was worried the oil would foul my MAF sensor).

Since posting my question I have replaced my MAF sensor(I bought a remanufactured sensor from Advance Autoparts with no real improvement. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions. Thanks

Jun 2, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428 View Post
    If this 'test' brings better results, then the MAF really should be replaced. BTW, they don't like oil charged air filters like K&N. Good luck.
    Thanks a lot for posting a response to my question. I had TRD oil-charged air filter for about a year before I started having this problem. When I read that they can foul MAF sensors I went back to paper filters. See my post above for info about my engine history.

I tried what you said about cleaning the sensor and thought it may have made an improvement, but started having trouble again so I bought a replacement MAF sensor and it turns out that did not help the problem. I had problems after replacing it and am still having problems after plenty of time for the computer to relearn. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks again.
    cporter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
    Hi Afternoon Snack. Did you ever get this fixed? I have the Same truck as yourself and the Same problem.

Thanks
    BrianTheDog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Hello

I also have the same hesitation as cporter and Afternoon Snack. Has anyone come up with a solution yet? The description of the hesitation is spot-on for what happens to my 2004 3.4L V6 w/Manual Trans.

-Only hesitates during hot and usually humid weather.
    -Runs perfect during cold weather months.
    -From a standstill, the truck does not respond for several seconds, even when hitting full throttle.
    -While driving, the engine power sometimes pulses or drops off completely as if the throttle is being cut.
    -Cleaning or replacing the MAF sensor does nothing.

If someone knows the fix, please respond. This really does get dangerous at times!

Thank you
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Dog, have you tried installing colder running NGK spark plugs? Also, try filling up with higher octane gasoline. If the problem improves, colder running plugs and slightly retarding the timing should help.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Nov 10, 2011, 04:45 AM
    Check the idle air control valve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 toyota tacoma will not start. [ 6 Answers ]

While doing routine maintenance to my toyota tacoma. I accidentally arced the positve battery cable with my wrench for a split second. Now the truck will not start. It is firing and all the fuses have power and are good, but there is one fuse slot that is labeled STA a 7.5 fuse that doesn't have...

2003 toyota tacoma 6 cyl [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased it from certified toyota dealer. Where is fuel filter?? I also am considering to replace battery with a Optima battery. Thanks John :confused:

Need opinions on (any year) toyota tacoma [ 2 Answers ]

Hey drivers. I need some help in my truck search. I'm starting to like the 2008 tacoma but any year will float my boat as long as I got a cd player and I can get the bed extender- chances are my first truck ainte going to be a new one. Also, I want the double cab... what I need from you is an...

2001 Toyota Tacoma [ 7 Answers ]

How do you get the rear drums off? I have beat, pulled and cannot get them to budge.

2001 Toyota Tacoma [ 1 Answers ]

On occasion, about once a day, when I go to start the truck, nothing will happen. Shut the key off and try again and it will start fine. The battery is only 4 months old and is always strong. Does this sound like a ground or corroded terminal on starter? Any other suggestions

View more questions Search