Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smdurham22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 01:16 PM
    1995 Honda Civic will not start - but cranks
    Good Afternoon,

I have a 1995 Honda Civic that will not start. I have tested the main relay, tested for spark, and checked the main relay wiring harness. I plan on replacing the main relay regardless as the car has approximately 145,000 miles on it and it has not been replaced. The cap and rotor look fine they are around 40,000 miles old. I pulled the spark plugs and the feel dry, but I do here the fuel pump kick on and the fuel system pressurize. I tested the ECU as well, but the one issue I have with the ECU is that initially when I jumpered the diagnostic wires the CEL stayed on. After I tested some of the other items I went back to the ECU and I received the following error codes: 6; 10; 20. After testing the wiring harness I hooked the battery up and tested the ECU one more time, now I am getting the error code 19. I think the ECU might just be shot. Other note is that the ignition switch can be a bit sticky at times.

I do not want to start replacing everything and get nowhere, but my plan right now is to start with the ECU and main relay.

Am I on the right track or is there something else I should do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 01:25 PM
    . Run through the tests outlined in Sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

Be sure to perform the K-Test on the ECM. Like you, I suspect the ECM is bad. Also, be sure and check all under-dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Clean main ECM ground on the thermostat housing.
    smdurham22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Okay still struggling.

I went through the tests. The CEL goes off after two seconds. I replaced the main relay, coil, plugs, wires, cap + rotor, and fuel filter.

The "K-test" was fine. I have exactly five volts at the MAP sensor and five volts between D19 and D21.

I have spark at the plugs though I am not really sure how to tell if it is enough spark. I have a tester that flashes when the spark goes through the wire and it does this for all four wires.

I have not tested the fuel pressure which I am doing tomorrow (have to buy a pressure gauge). But I do know that I have fuel up to the regulator as it came out when I changed the fuel filter.

I tested all fuses with a test light and they are fine. I have power at the ICM wires but I am not quite sure how to go about these two steps:

5. Check the YEL/GRN wire between the ECM and the ICM.
    6. Check the BLU wire between the tachometer and the ICM. (I did disconnect the tach to see if it would start but no luck)

Since the ECM passes the K-Test I am not really sure if that can be the problem. I do know that a few weeks ago my girlfriend took her car in for an oil change and she go the "fuel system flush" done. I wonder if this broke some crud loose in the tank and clogged the pressure regulator.

I am not too worried about replacing the ICM and the fuel-regulator or even the ECU at that point. The car has been great for years and I would like it to stay that way and not have to worry about it starting.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Good job of running through the tests. Based on your results, I'm inclined to suspect a problem with the distributor; e.g. a bad CKP, CYL, or TDC sensor. None of these sensors are serviceable. Ideally, try and substitute a known-good distributor. Most Honda distributors fail between 75,000 and 120,000 miles. Another possibility is just a bad ICM. If you don't want to replace this component outright, have AutoZone test it for free on their Well's Machine. I recommend that it be replaced every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. You can have spark, but the plugs may not be firing at the proper time. This can be due to faulty distributor sensors or the ICM not operating properly when the ECM wants it to.

The only problem with what I said above is I'm still perplexed by the assortment of DTCs you first reported. It may indicate problems in other areas of the ECM. Be sure to clean the main ECM ground on the thermostat and recheck for DTCs. You may also want to remove the cover of the ECM and look for leaking capacitors, crazed processors, or anything else that looks abnormal.
    fozzbo Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Hello New here!

I am having the same problem! Same car! Now to compound matters it will now not turn over. Once I figure out if the neutral start switch or ignition switch is the culprit I can get back to the no start problem.

Any suggestions for a tried and true neutral start switch test? Which pins should I hook the tester leads to?

Stephen - did you get your car running?

-Shawn
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 12:25 PM
    fozzbo, the problem being with the neutral start switch is not likely--I've never seen one go bad. First, try the suggestions on the link below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Oct 3, 2007, 01:52 PM
    "6. In order to check the solenoid, put the transmission in Park and remove the push-on connector from the solenoid “S” terminal. Connect a jumper lead, or preferably a remote starter switch, between the positive battery terminal and the exposed “S” terminal on the solenoid. If the starter motor now operates, the solenoid is fine and the problem is with the ignition switch, neutral start switch, or wiring."

I got the starter to operate by following the above procedure. How do I now determine if it is the neutral switch or Ignition switch that is bad? Perplexing.

-fozzbo
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Use an automotive test light to check for power, when the ignition switch is in the crank position. Check for power through the switch. If power does not pass through the switch, it needs to be replaced. If no power is present, the ignition switch is bad and needs replacing.

Oct 10, 2007, 08:41 AM
    TGM -

Crank problem corrected (loose connection inside engine firewall).

I did the K test (passed), I have spark, fuel pressure, pulled main replay and re-soldered connections at posts, coil tests OK, will test igniter tonight.
    However -- I have no pulse to the fuel injector. Does the igniter control the pulse to the injectors or does that come from the CPS/TDC sensor in distributor sending a signal to ECU. If so how do I isolate the issue to CPS/TDC or ECU?

-fozzbo
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Provide me the answers to the 3 basic diagnostic questions.

Oct 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
    1. The CEL goes off after 2 seconds
    2. The main relay clicks after 2 seconds
    3. The fuel pump runs during that time and I have proper pressure at the injectors.

(5.0v on the K test)

-fozzbo
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 05:27 PM
    . Check for codes.
    . Test/replace the ICM.
    . I suspect you have a problem with the sensors inside the distributor, which are not serviceable. Try substituting a known-good distributor.

Oct 11, 2007, 10:39 AM
    All sensors in distributor tested at ~350 ohms...

Brand New distributor on order...

Still planning to get coil and igniter tested...

Will update results when I get it in...

-fozzbo
    choppahguy71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smdurham22
    Good Afternoon,

I have a 1995 Honda Civic that will not start. I have tested the main relay, tested for spark, and checked the main relay wiring harness. I plan on replacing the main relay regardless as the car has approximately 145,000 miles on it and it has not been replaced. The cap and rotor look fine they are around 40,000 miles old. I pulled the spark plugs and the feel dry, but I do here the fuel pump kick on and the fuel system pressurize. I tested the ECU as well, but the one issue I have with the ECU is that initially when I jumpered the diagnostic wires the CEL stayed on. After I tested some of the other items I went back to the ECU and I received the following error codes: 6; 10; 20. After testing the wiring harness I hooked the battery up and tested the ECU one more time, now I am getting the error code 19. I think the ECU might just be shot. Other note is that the ignition switch can be a bit sticky at times.

I do not want to start replacing everything and get nowhere, but my plan right now is to start with the ECU and main relay.

Am I on the right track or is there something else I should do? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Main relay is the key,tap on it lightly while cranking and see if there is a change.keep in mind that the distributors have been known failures over the years.a visual chech inside dist. for rust/orange dust my reveal your problem but main relay is most probable cause.
    Z-Mann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smdurham22
    Good Afternoon,

Thanks,
    Stephen
    I had same problem Honda Said hay lets put the ignition coil in distributor. It goes bad replace it have a honda certified dealer though not any where else I did ran one day and only one day

Oct 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
    New distributor in... and nothing! Bleh! Now focusing on main relay and ECU.

Does the main relay control the injectors?
    Z-Mann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Did you replace the factory coil with any thing other than factory. My civic is on a diagnostic at a Honda seller.

Oct 17, 2007, 02:17 PM
    I put in a new distributor purchased from Ebay. Cranks (and sparks) but no attempt to start at all.

Oct 29, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Update:

Spark - yes
    Injector signal - 1 & 2 do not fire, 3 & 4 at the same time - all the time. For obvious reasons 3 & 4 fouling.
    Distributor - off Ebay - new/rebuilt. I suspect the old one is fine.
    Lined to distributor spot #1/timing mark at TDC of #1.

ECU/ECM? Best place to get one if so?

Help!

-fozzbo

PS - used relay off Ebay was a dud.. would not even run fuel pump 2 seconds.
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 05:30 PM
    I don't believe the ECM is the problem. I would still focus on the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and distributor. AutoZone can test the ICM and coil for free. We've had many problems on this site with remanufactured/used distributor housings. I recommend only using a new genuine Honda housing and reusing your old ICM and coil, if necessary. Aftermarket ICMs and coils have been fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 92 Honda civic cranks over but won't Start! [ 5 Answers ]

My 92 civic has 228,000 miles, turns over but won't start. I had replaced the distributor thinking the ignitor was at falt, battery is good, timing belt and components were changed 29,000 miles ago. There is NO check engine light coming on, only when I'm trying to start the car. I can hear the fuel...

1995 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Please help guys, let me first say that I don't really know much about cars, just a little. A few weeks ago my engine overheated because of a failed radiator. Me and my dad replaced the radiator, and discovered water was leaking into the engine, it occasionally ran a little rough on start, but...

My 1995 Honda Civic DX won't start! [ 1 Answers ]

The other night, I went to go start my Civic, and to my surprise, the engine turned over and all of the lights and gadgets came on but the engine would just not start. It just whined as if it was trying to start but just could not catch. I've tried checking the battery and even boosted it but it...

94 civic hatchback cranks but doesn't start [ 2 Answers ]

The car cranks over really strong, has spark, fuel, and compression although on the 1st cylinder the compression is lower by 50 psi, and the rest are at like 180psi. I was thinking that it might be the timing, but I'm not sure, sometimes it seems like it's going to start then it just goes back to...

1995 honda civic 1.5 no start [ 1 Answers ]

1.5 liter engine will turn over but will not start on it's own. If you spray carb cleaner in it it will start and run great after that. You then can shut it off and it restarts fine as long as you don't wait longer then 30 min. We swapped out distributors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel relay,...

View more questions Search