Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maresunshine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Transfer of Ownership
    My mother recently became unable to care for her home. She refinanced it and asked me to move in. She is now living with my sister.

I am paying the loan even though it's in her name. She has asked me to get information about transferring the ownership. She would like the house to be in myself and my husband's name. Would a contract for deed accomplish this?

Her concerns are that she would like me to be able to claim the interest I am paying on my income tax. Secondly that my interest in the home is protected if she should pass away. I had read about the quitclaim deed but that seems to be bascially worthless.

Thank you,

Lisa Ellis
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Hello Lisa:

That would all be fine - except for that darn bank that holds the mortgage. They're not going to let ANY transfer happen. Plus, the only way you can legally claim the interest, is if the loan is in your name.

Therefore, that's what you're going to have to do. She has to sell the home to you and your husband, and you're going to have to get a new mortgage.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ownership of Propane [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a home on the 12th(all papers signed sealed, etc). The home is heated by electric and wood. A propane tank is used for the stove and water heater. The purchase agreement did not specify any particulars, yet on the 26th, the prior owner contacted the propane tank...

Domain Ownership [ 2 Answers ]

Help, First, thanks for having this site. And I'm glad to have joined Background: Now. I created a website called LGBTNation.org. because I was working at another site that was using all my talents for free, and they were making money. So I started my site. Because I have good network...

Ownership of the media [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me answer the following question: What is the direct and indirect ownership of the media? How might it be viewed as a threat to democracy? What do you think?

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

View more questions Search