Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrsMorrison Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Dodge Intrepid Motor
    Anyone ever owned or a mechanical expert with dodge intrepids? Is it true that the engines are bad and that you can't change the timing chain. I have a 1999.:confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 07:40 PM
    I'm no expert on that car, but, if you change the oil and filter regularly, you won't likely have to replace the timing chain. This is especially true, if you use full-synthetic engine oil; e.g. Mobil 1. Personally, I think most cars today are very good, provided they are maintained properly.

The 2.7L engine is known to have a sludging problem. Again, if you use a full-synthetic engine oil, and change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first), you greatly reduce the odds of sludge developing.

Aug 27, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Thanks a lot. I will follow your advice.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 02:33 PM
    How many miles are on your vehicle? If you have quite a few thousand and haven't been using synthetic, do not switch now. It's going to come out of every little crack and crease and you're going to have bigger issues.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Respectfully, I totally disagree. Have heard that argument for years, yet never seen it happen.
    Well I have and in more than one instance. I think it's ridiculous that you gave me a red box just because you haven't experienced it; that's a joke.

Aug 28, 2008, 06:27 AM
    I just bought it and it has 113000 miles on it. I'm sure you can understand I need to do anythng I can to keep it running.. I was told by one mechanice that the timing chain cannot be changed, which I believe is faulse.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 07:12 AM
    MrsMorrison, I've never heard of a timing chain that can't be replaced. A call to a Dodge service department should be able to answer that question quickly.

Besides changing the engine oil and filter, I recommend that the transmission fluid be changed. Have the dealer drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and refill with ATF+4 transmission fluid, which is a full-synthetic product. If you take care of the engine and transmission, everything else that goes wrong will be relatively minor, in comparison. Be sure to change the coolant every 3 years with a 50/50 mixture of G-05 antifreeze and distilled water. Finally, change the brake fluid, with an ABS-approved product, for safety and to properly maintain the brake system.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 12:12 PM
    MrsMorrison, if you would like additional opinions on the adviseability of using a full-synthetic oil in your Dodge Intrepid, post a question on BOBISTHEOILGUY.COM. Their site has tribologists and members, who will be glad to give you their opinion. Additionally, you can call Mobil Oil Corporation, 1-800-ASK-MOBIL, or Amsoil's Technical Department, 715/399-TECH. Just explain your situation to them.

If you have a MAJOR sludge problem already, look into Auto-RX. It's an ester-based product for severe engine and transmission sludge problems. Afterwards, start using a full-synthetic engine oil. If you don't have a MAJOR sludge problem, just start using a full-synthetic engine oil and change the filter regularly.
    KcSlumper Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 02:51 AM

TxGreaseMonkey--I really appreicate all your advise/input. Precise and to the point! Thanks for sharing.
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Oct 31, 2009, 08:08 AM

If it is the 2.7, the labor guide estimates the timing chain replacement to be in the 6 hour neighborhood. Although this isn't something you change just for fun. If you are having timing chain, tensioner, guide issues, due to engine noise, this is a good indication that your engine is near the end of the road due to sludge and lack of maintenance.

These engines are garbage !
    tinagal58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 03:05 PM
    Have a 2001 dodge intrepid ck battery lite came on replace new battery . New alternater, new computer still ck battery lite comes on and will drain the battery is there something I am missing
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2011, 04:17 PM
    Tinagal58, check for 14 to 15 volts at the battery (regulated battery voltage), when the engine is idling. If it's low, the voltage regulator/brush assembly may be bad in the "new" alternator. Most remanufactured alternators do not come with new regulators.
    ispen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 07:46 PM
    You can change the timing change

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat dodge intrepid [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get to the thermostat on my 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES?

Have intrepid, won't travel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1998 intrepid 2.7. It died in a parking lot. It would start and idle but would not increase above idle without stalling. It got towed home. Now it doesn't idle although it sounds like it wants to start. I suspected fuel filter or MAP sensor. Test on sensor gave me good voltage on PCM...

1997 Dodge Intrepid, Truble starting/ Rough Idle also [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 97 dodge intrepid. When I drive at times the car would just shut off and coast. Once its stopped, it has a difficult time restarting and recently(twice) it wouldn't start at all. The lights come on inside, but nothing is turning over. I have no idea what it could be. Can something like...

Brakes 1999 dodge intrepid [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a1999 dodge intrepid my brake lights work except for the third light the brake light on the on the trunk. I have no power coming to the light bulb sockets any help would be appreciated

View more questions Search