Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EstelleWerly Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 04:43 PM
    88 Ford F150 Won't Start!
    :( Me again... this is what has been done so far: 88 Ford F150 yard plow trick. 5.0. The battery has been dying so we put a new one in.. truck ran fine plowed the yard. Went out next morning battery is dead. Took the battery in to the shop had it charged. Truck started up, ran a few seconds died and would not start again.. Bought and installed a new alternator, now no spark so put in a new coil. Turns over, but will not start, it still has no spark. Have added dry gas also. Wrote here and Rick suggested that is was probably the ignition module.. changed that and it started right up! Yeah... now it has spark and will not start on a day below freezing, sometimes not even when it's above freezing. Husband says it's getting gas. The carborator was replaced with a junkyard one sometime before we got it, if that matters. Doesn't seem to be getting a full crank off the battery, but is turning over and we have hooked our 1 ton van to the battery while trying to start if for an extra boost, but no go. Again, it is getting spark and supposedly gas, it will pop occasionally, but won't start up.. any more ideas for us? Timing is off a little also, but it has started and ran fine a few times with that going on. Can't get a timing light on it until it starts again, should have done it when it was starting. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jan 6, 2009, 09:00 AM
    No one? Hmmmm :confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 09:24 AM

. Test all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

You may want to remove each underhood fuse, clean with #240 abrasive cloth or steel wool, lightly coat with dielectric grease, and reinstall. Do this one fuse at a time, being sure to replace it in the correct slot. Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable first. Locate, remove, clean, and apply dielectric grease to the megafuse going to the alternator. It may be located on the end of the underhood fuse box.

I would also remove each underhood relay, clean the contacts, apply a light coating of dielectric grease, and reinstall.

I have encountered major corrosion on underhood fuses and relays on F-150s in Texas--huge source of problems. Pay particular attention to the Fuse Pump Relay, in the underhood fuse box.

. Change spark plugs (with the exact Motorcraft plug that came in the truck), rotor, distributor cap, and spark plug wires. I already recommended changing the Ignition Control Module (thank you).

. Clean battery terminals and cables. Afterwards, apply a light coating of dielectric grease.

. Clean starter motor and solenoid connections, applying dielectric grease afterwards.

. Check for parasitic battery drain:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post241804
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Jan 6, 2009, 04:36 PM

I had a 1989 f150 had the same problem I did a tuneup plugs,wires,&etc come to find out it's a fuel pump relay(there are normally two one fore each tank)and I replaced both of the relays still had the problem so every time it happens I stick a wire into one of the relays and touch it to the firewall and it sparks and the truck cranks right up also I would check every ground connection and check the ground straps on the chasis to either put new ones on it or clean them and check your solennoid should be above the battery

Jan 8, 2009, 04:42 AM
    Thanks! We will be checking all that out now... appreciate your help! Have a great day. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Ford F150 something wrong with Fuel System and won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 92 Ford F150 and there is something wrong with the Fuel System and it will not start can some one give me a run down on what to check first maybe a list of things in order of cheapest things to replace first. Perhaps there are some ways to test different things in order to diagnose what...

Truck won't start ford 1994 f150 [ 3 Answers ]

OK! I am about frustrated lol, as I am sure most who are not mechanics are when it comes to fixing a vehicle. I have a 1994 ford f150 pickup 302 v8 with dual tanks. It started bogging down. Especially when I would try to go above 25 mph. THEN it completely died and would not start. So we bought...

1994 ford f150 won't switch to front gas tank from rear tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 ford f150 xl 4.9 straight v6 with dual gas tanks. When I try to switch over to the front tank from the rear tank the truck stalls out and won't start. Why is this and how can I fix this problem? <PS> even if I switch over before I even try starting the engine the truck still...

91 ford f150 no lights no start new solnoid starter [ 1 Answers ]

Changed solenoid and starter now no power anywhere except for dome light inside truck when u turn the key on dome light goes out and won't do anything no brake no fuctioning power the first time I turned key on after putting starter in it would not disengage and now no power except for dome ...

Ford 7.3 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced the high pressure oil pump on my 2003 ford e350 deisel. Now it won't start. I did refill the reservoir with oil. It does crank, however it does not start. Any thoughts in this matter would be greatly appreaciated.

View more questions Search