Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    themonkeysmom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Ac fan moter downstairs struggles
    Hello and sorry if this question is confusing. I'm desperate for a possible way to fix this problem without forking out the bucks now. We moved into our house in 2001 and the trane ac downstairs was brand new. It had always worked fine until last year when it started to blow very little cool air out the vents. I admit that my husband had a bad habit of taking out the full filter before I bought a new one and I would find this out when I went to put the new filter in and the slot was empty! He did this quite a few times over a period of 6 years until I threatened bodilty harm. The unit started to squeal, so we turned it completely off and suffered the rest of the summer. My husband took it apart the other day to clean it out and found a layer of dust over "some kind of opening" (sorry he's not home to confirm area) and cleaned it all off, and cleaned everything out. When he started it up, the noise was completely gone, and the fan worked, and the cool air was flowing! Yea! Then the fan stopped and he said a part of the unit got hot. He took the unit out again, and used a light oil to lubricate and put it back together again. The fan tries to work... turning a quarter turn, then stops.. another quarter tun and stops.. and so on. And the barrel turns freely Did he 'toast" our unit? Or is there something we can do to make it work long enough to afford a housecall?. Don't worry... all is completely shut off before touching.

My husband now tried to start it again and the fan turned normally, and it sounded just fine blowing out cold air and everything. It however only lasts about 1/2 hour when the moter gets too hot and shuts down itself. What can that be?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Probably the motor is toast but you could try a motor run capacitor first to see if that cures the problem.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 09:09 PM
    My first guess is the run capacitor is bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud knocking from the moter! [ 2 Answers ]

My6 99 buick century is making a loud knocking from the moter! She still runs and drives, but right now I have her parked until I can get that fixed!! I think that it is the rocker arm on the right side of the moter!! How much is that going to set me back to fix!! :confused:

Honda Accord 1998 Struggles to Start -Sometimes [ 1 Answers ]

When I start my car, it doesn't have enough power to move. I push the pedal and the engine starts to stall. It never stalls, but it comes close. If I push the gas a little more, it comes back to life and stutters a bit. After about 2-5 minutes of driving the problem goes away until I turn it off...

Blower motor intermittently struggles to come on [ 1 Answers ]

Hey Folks I know this a rather common issue, but there are several variations on it that make me unsure which way to turn. I have a Bryant furnace (6 years old) and the original blower motor was replaced, along with the fan wheel, about 2 years ago. Now I get this intermittent issue of it not...

Downstairs not getting warm [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new house in June of last year and this is the first time the heater has been REALLY tested (temps in the negatives). Our entire first floor is hardwood or tile with no carpet, but the upstairs is all carpet. We have electric heat and it does come on and heats the upstairs, but...

View more questions Search