Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2024, 05:51 PM
    Census outcome impacts apportionment
    The question is asked

OK, Tom. I'm sitting here in amazement. I have just learned that congressional districts are apportioned based on total population, legal AND illegals. If we look looked at citizens only, it would result in a gain of about 20 House seats for repubs. I find that to be astonishing. Is that your understanding for this thing???
    Art 1 Sec 2 says

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years

The clause originally excluded Native Americans and had a 3/5 clause for slaves. It says nothing about a citizen requirement . Then again it doesn't necessarily prohibit one either .

This is one of the main reasons Dems want open borders.

When conservatives are smeared as being racist advocates of a 'replacement theory ' the assumption is that the concern is minorities replacing whites . But the Dems hardly mask their desire to change the political landscape by flooding the nation with immigration.

The maximum number of Reps has been fixed at 435 since 1929. States that gain population faster than others get additional representatives after a census , and those whose populations grow less quickly or decline will lose representatives. This is also true of the total numbers of electors a state gets ;and how tax $ gets apportioned among the states .

Blue states have benefitted from this for years . There has been a bit of a reversal due to migration to red states . But it certainly explains why the Dems love the "sanctuary " concept .

(1) Greg Abbott on X: "Congresswoman from New York explains why she supports illegal immigration: "I need more people in my district JUST FOR REDISTRICTING PURPOSES.” These Democrats are looking out for themselves, not for America." / X (twitter.com)

Question ; when the framers authored the Constitution was there an assumption that a "person" was a citizen ? Would a congressional act defining a person counted has to be a citizen for the purpose of apportionment be constitutional ?

Case law favors the concept that every person in the state is counted for apportionment
    It is my belief that Congress could act and it would survive judicial review.

Hagerty bill would put citizenship question on census, stop non-citizens being counted for redistricting | Fox News
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2024, 02:59 AM
    Obviously the above Congressional action ;besides surviving judicial review ,also requires surviving Senate filibuster requiring a super majority ,as well as a potential President veto .

I have no expectation that the status quo and Dem advantage of the process will change The best solution for the time being is still border control.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 15, 2024, 04:44 AM
    I doubt that the Fathers envisioned a situation where we would have millions and millions of people here who entered illegally, many at the tacit encouragement of local governments.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2024, 04:53 AM
    The Costitution says Congress shall conduct a census in "such manner as they shall by Law direct" (Article I, Section 2). But I don't see Congress acting on it in a divided country. Advantage Dems if the border is not closed .It may be too late.

We have an amendment process if we are bold enough to use it. If not then this slide continues .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Government Census/access [ 1 Answers ]

Am I allowed access to the 2010 census? I like to see the one in New York. Do you have to pay for it? Where would I find it?

Ignoring the you.S. Census [ 19 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how much trouble I can get into by ignoring the U.S. census? As for why? There is not a concrete answer,I can only say #! I'm not happy with the national debt inquired over all this bailout and I think I want a census of them #2where I live there are a lot of...

2010 census and fines [ 16 Answers ]

An acquaintance says he is working for US government as a special census taker, using a provided list of names he must ask intrusive and private questions and is told to "not take no for an answer" He reports failure to answer the questions results in large fines. Is there such a thing as "special...

Census Bureau [ 10 Answers ]

I'm always a skeptic. I received a full questionnaire from the Census Bureau in Jeffersonville, Ind. They want a lot of personal information. Can this be a scam? Must I fill it out?

1930 census [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get acess to census website from 1600 to date

View more questions Search