Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2024, 03:49 AM
    Legislative Process 101
    AKA a "discharge petition" What is that ?

After a bill has been introduced and referred to a standing committee for 30 days, a member of the House can file a motion to have the bill discharged, or released, from consideration by the committee. In order to do this, a majority of the House (218 voting members, not delegates) must sign the petition. Once a discharge petition reaches 218 members, after several legislative days, the House considers the motion to discharge the legislation and takes a vote after 20 minutes of debate. If the vote passes (by all those who signed the petition in the first place), then the House will take up the measure.
    So let's say the Senate passes a bill to fund Ukraine to the tune of $95 billion monopoly bucks ;and Speaker Johnson is pressured by the Repub majority (not unanimously ....there are plenty of Repub war hawks ) to not allow the bill to the floor of the House for a vote............and by Quid Pro Joe (after all the Biden Crime family has a vested interest in the outcome of anything Ukraine related ) to have a floor vote ........then there is a legislative way to force his hand .

A discharge petition could also be voted in quicker by means of a special rule enacted at the beginning of the process .But that would require a 2/3 vote of the House .

House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries sent a letter to his caucus promising to "use every available legislative tool" to get the bill passed. That could include a discharge petition.

The Senate rejected a bill that had aid to Ukraine ;Israel along with a border (ahem) "security " package . After that happened Senate Majority leader Schmucky Shumer ;and Repub Minority leader (oh how he love not having the majority) Yertle the Turtle Mitch McConnell brainstormed this current bill that removed the border provisions .

Now Speaker Johnson wants some border security added to the bill.

So again the leadership of the Speaker of the House comes into question. Can he hold his caucus together long enough to reject a discharge petition. Jeffries has the ability to peel off a couple of hard line Repubs to get the aid package passed.
    That could bring down Speaker Johnson's brief tenure as Speaker of the House .

It would also serve a blow to Donald Trump who has campaigned against the bill . If that happens he will of course criticize the House leadership without taking ownership to the fact that he played a large part in turning a red wave into a red trickle.

Check out some similar questions!

June Smith, a process engineer, has sold her 15-year patent for a new etching process [ 7 Answers ]

June Smith, a process engineer, has sold her 15-year patent for a new etching process to Silica Labs, Inc. In return, she has received $500,000 in cash and, based on its value on the sale date, $200,000 in common stock in Silica Labs. The stock is forecasted to double in market value over the...

Legislative rights of the child and rights of the families [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question in my assignment asking me to explain the legislative rights of the child and the rights of their families, bearing in mind that the needs of the child are paramount. Can anyone explain this to me further and give me some ideas, I am not asking for the answer but I am just...

The Dems open legislative process [ 6 Answers ]

In a debate in January of 2008, Obama said this on health care reform: C-Span begged Democrats to keep their promise and televise the negotiations. Well, the Demos have begun closed door negotiations and shut Republicans out of the debate. Even more shamelessly, Pelosi responded to...

Obama's legislative accomplishments. [ 20 Answers ]

PGeu_4Ekx-o

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.