Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2024, 05:53 AM
    Gitmo
    Flashback January 22,2009

Executive Order requires closure of the Guantanamo detention center no later than one year from the date of the Order.

BACKGROUND: President Obama signs Executive Orders on Detention and Interrogation Policy | The White House (archives.gov)

That was 15 years ago. GITMO is still open and holding detainees .

Where is the Dem outrage ?

Why have the prisoners not been returned to their own countries ? Because they don't want them.

The emperor tasked Lee Wolosky to close it down . This is what he says of the failure to do so .(warning he is a partisan)

Now we stand 20 years from the opening of Guantanamo on Jan. 11, 2002. The United States has left Afghanistan, and the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks has come and gone. The alleged perpetrators still have not been tried, and numerous other men remain held in indefinite detention without charge. President Joe Biden is completing his first year in office. My State Department office remains empty. Our longest war has ended, yet Guantanamo endures.
    The challenges presented by closing Guantanamo have not changed — but nearly everything else has. The world has moved on from the 9/11 era; even more than during the Obama years, Guantanamo feels today like a relic of another time. Biden, who will be remembered as the president who ended a war that three of his predecessors could or would not, should recommit to closing the facility for good. This may require bolder solutions than his predecessor and some imperfect compromises — including finally abandoning the experiment with military trials — (barf alert) as well as the same resolve and leadership Biden demonstrated in extricating the United States from Afghanistan. (he forgot to add </sarc> ) The time has come to finish the yearslong process of restoring U.S. moral credibility by untangling the knots that we ourselves tied in Guantanamo.
    Yeah that's what's needed ....more bold leadership by Clueless Joe Maybe he shouls send Hunter to make a deal (10% for the big guy)

Opinion | What I Learned When I Tried to Close Guantanamo - POLITICO

Check out some similar questions!

Gitmo detainee on trial in NY. Where are the attacks? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello: Remember right wingers telling us that if we hold a trial for Guantanamo detainees in NY, NY will be attacked, and that we should FEAR a trial here?? I do. Did you know that a Gitmo detainee is on trial right NOW in NY? Are you scared? Do you know that you SHOULD be? Now, it's...

Obama starving Gitmo guests [ 17 Answers ]

Guantanamo Bay rations detainees’ ice cream portions That's an outrage, only one ice cream per detainee. Why is no one protesting this clearly abusive detainee treatment?

Good news on Gitmo closure? [ 11 Answers ]

That's right ladies and gentleman, good news - the Obama administration is considering releasing some Gitmo detainees... in the U.S according to AG Eric "nation of cowards" Holder. Europe doesn't want them, you can't send them home to be tortured, and you darn sure can't keep them in...

I'd rather be at Gitmo [ 14 Answers ]

And here I thought everyone wanted Gitmo shut down... Jennifer Daskal in the Washington Compost goes further... Since we must close Gitmo, can't keep these people and can't guarantee their safety when released, just what exactly should the US do with your run of the mill Jihadist?...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.