Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Colonial militias were assemblies of local men, usually poorly trained and organized and generally not having uniforms, which could be assembled quickly for local defense. It was not the army. They relied on men owning their own guns.
    Now the Army can own all the guns and distribute them when needed to fight a war. Otherwise, no private gun ownership, especially not asssult-type weapons.
    When was the U.S. a country "without many guns"?
    When I was growing up until fairly recently. Now there's a mass murder weekly or even more often.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 08:55 AM
    the Army can own all the guns and distribute them when needed to fight a war.
    When has that ever happened? Did it happen in Germany, Japan, and Italy in the 30's? Did it happen in North Vietnam? Is it happening now in Russia or North Korea? If you are counting on an oppressive government to hand out guns to citizens in general, you'll be waiting a long time.

When I was growing up until fairly recently.
    Oh come on. Surely you must know that's a silly contention, that there was not widespread gun ownership in your childhood. There is no data to support that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 09:02 AM
    When has that ever happened?
    The Army doesn't supply guns and ammunition to its soldiers?
    Oh come on. Surely you must know that's a silly contention, that there was not widespread gun ownership in your childhood. There is no data to support that.
    There were few if any mass killings. Guns were used for target shooting and for hunting. My dad owned guns (bb gun and a .22 -- no assault weapons) and taught me how to load, unload, and target shoot. And the fact that there wasn't widespread gun ownership kept the murder and suicide rates low.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 09:56 AM
    Distributing guns "to its soldiers" (who would already have them since...they are soldiers) is not the point. It's civilian ownership that we are talking about and which is important. It allows the populace to overthrow a repressive government just as happened in the Revolution.

First you refer to mass killings (There were few if any mass killings.), but then you refer to gun ownership (there wasn't widespread gun ownership). The first I agree with. The second is flat wrong and you have no data at all to support such a false contention. It shows what I really dislike about trying to discuss anything with you. It just strikes me repeatedly that you have too little regard for the truth.

But perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps you can defend that???
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 10:11 AM
    Distributing guns "to its soldiers" (who would already have them since...they are soldiers) is not the point. It's civilian ownership that we are talking about and which is important. It allows the populace to overthrow a repressive government just as happened in the Revolution.
    The military (composed of the populace) has truckloads of guns, cannons, and ammunition. The general population doesn't need any of it.
    First you refer to mass killings (There were few if any mass killings.), but then you refer to gun ownership (there wasn't widespread gun ownership). The first I agree with. The second is flat wrong and you have no data at all to support such a false contention.
    How many mass murders were there in the U.S. between 1950 and 1955?

Mass Public Shootings per Decade
    1900s : 0
    1910s: 2
    1920s: 2
    1930s: 9
    1940s: 8
    1950s: 1
    1960s: 6
    1970s: 13
    1980s: 32
    1990s: 42
    2000s: 28
    2010s (three years): 14
    https://www.heraldnet.com/news/the-h...gs-in-the-u-s/
    It shows what I really dislike about trying to discuss anything with you. It just strikes me repeatedly that you have too little regard for the truth.
    This is why I stop posting here. You just cannot leave your little feelies out of any discussion. Goodbye.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 10:14 AM
    You did not carefully read my post about repressive governments.

I have already told you that I would agree that mass murders have increased greatly. It is gun ownership that has NOT increased greatly.

Instead of leaving, why don't you simply find data to support your positions? I assure you that if you said that of me, it would not bother me a bit. I would either support my position or admit to being wrong. Why don't you try that? I say that objectively, with no meanness intended.

A person can be too sensitive, you know. I guess I'm not accustomed to talking with someone who gets upset so easily. I actually remind myself to be kind when I post with you.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 10:23 AM
    Name:  guns.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  58.5 KB
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 10:24 AM
    I have already told you that I would agree that mass murders have increased greatly. It is gun ownership that has NOT increased greatly.
    Of course it has, as has the population -- as has the problem of mental illness and mental struggles. Individuals only recently have owned assault-type weapons.
    Instead of leaving, why don't you simply find data to support your positions?
    I did and posted it in my previous reply.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 10:25 AM
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...r%20possession.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 10:29 AM
    “Half of all mass killings in the United States have occurred since the assault weapons ban expired in 2005, half of all of them in the history of the country.”
    — Former President Bill Clinton, at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Jan. 9, 2013

A colleague spotted this eye-popping statistic by the former president and wondered if it was correct.

Clinton signed the assault weapons ban into law in 1994, but it expired after 10 years and was not renewed. Even supporters have said it was riddled with loopholes, limiting its effectiveness. But the rash of mass shootings in recent years, including the Newtown, Conn., tragedy, have provided new impetus for a renewed ban.
    https://www.heraldnet.com/news/the-h...gs-in-the-u-s/
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 10:30 AM
    Of course it has, as has the population
    The rate of gun ownership has stayed steady. Mass shootings have increased greatly, and no one has suggested otherwise.

You posted data to support mass shootings, but I have repeatedly said that I agree with that. It is gun ownership that is the disagreement. You claimed initially there were "not many guns" which was clearly wrong. Now I'm not sure what you are claiming. Perhaps you referring to the total number of guns?

But there is an interesting question in all of this. Using your very good data, what has changed since the 1950's and now? It is not gun ownership. That has stayed pretty consistent, so what has changed to explain this phenomenon? Why have mass shootings increased so very dramatically?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 10:37 AM
    But there is an interesting question in all of this. Using your very good data, what has changed since the 1950's and now? It is not gun ownership. That has stayed pretty consistent, so what has changed to explain this phenomenon?
    I went back and posted that too -- mental illness and mental struggles. As you have already posted elsewhere, the dissolution of the American family, plus the recent work, family, and personal upsets by Covid, and possibly even climate change (all the especially recent weather upheavals by storms, winds, tornadoes, hurricanes, widespread fires, et al.).
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 10:41 AM
    “Half of all mass killings in the United States have occurred since the assault weapons ban expired in 2005, half of all of them in the history of the country.”
    Using your data, that is clearly not correct. Just in the three decades of the 70's, 80's, and 90's, there were nearly 100. Since 05 the number is somewhere around 30. Again, that is using the data you posted.

I went back and posted that too -- mental illness and mental struggles. As you have already posted elsewhere, the dissolution of the American family, plus the recent work, family, and personal upsets by Covid, and possibly even vlimate change (all the especially recent weather upheavals by storms, winds, tornadoes, hurricanes, widespread fires, et al.
    I actually rather agree with that answer, except for the part about climate disasters which have NOT been increasing. Covid is much too recent. It can't account for the 50 years before 2020.

I would add that the rise of atheism and the decline of the Christian faith has made a large difference. Atheism cannot assign any inherent worth to people, so killing a person seems to be a great deal less serious using that world view.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 10:44 AM
    The rate of gun ownership has stayed steady. Mass shootings have increased greatly, and no one has suggested otherwise.
    Please read my Post #30.

Using your data, that is clearly not correct. Just in the three decades of the 70's, 80's, and 90's, there were nearly 100. Since 05 the number is somewhere around 30. Again, that is using the data you posted.
    Asssult weapons were always used, as they are now?

And mental problems have skyrocketed. I know that just from being a Facebook member and chatter.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 10:44 AM
    I already have and have responded to it in post 33, so I don't know what your point is. What Clinton said, according to your data, is not even close to being correct.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 10:47 AM
    Again:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe

Asssult weapons were always used, as they are now?

And mental problems have skyrocketed. I know that just from being a Facebook member and chatter.
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 10:52 AM
    Either Clinton's statement was wrong, or your data, which I used, was wrong, so I really don't know what your point is. As I posted, "Just in the three decades of the 70's, 80's, and 90's, there were nearly 100. Since 05 the number is somewhere around 30."

Assault weapons? I don't know what was used in the 80's and 90's. It really doesn't matter. A man with two semi-auto pistols can do as much damage as a man with a so-called "assault weapon". It's the heart that is the problem.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 11:03 AM
    It's the heart that is the problem.
    And the brain. Again, along with the population, mental problems have skyrocketed. I know that just from being a Facebook member and chatter.

After every shooting, I whisper, "Why?!"
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2023, 11:04 AM
    That does seem to be the case. I wonder why?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 12, 2023, 11:12 AM
    That does seem to be the case. I wonder why?
    As I posted in #32, "As you have already posted elsewhere, the dissolution of the American family, plus the recent work, family, and personal upsets by Covid, and possibly even climate change."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building a resume to get a better job on Capitol Hill [ 6 Answers ]

Right now I'm in kind of a rough spot. I have an internship on the Hill, on the senate side and hae already had anther internship working for my congressman and volunteered on his campaign. Right now my family is going through some rough financial times and I'm becoming a financial drain on my...

Capitol One [ 2 Answers ]

I made a 1 time payment over the phone to the credit card company with my checking acct. Now many months down the road they have used that same information that I gave them a while back to completely wipe out my checking account saying I owe them the money. Is this legal & how do I fight this?...

What does a building manager charge for a condo building per issue? [ 0 Answers ]

We would like to hire a building manager for our condo complex. We already have a property management company, but they only look after the financial budgeting. We need someone to attend to any problems with the building like noise complaints, landscaping on a per call basis or a regular fixed...

What does a building manager charge for on call serices for a condo building? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked by a property management company what I would charge to a condo board for on call resolve to building maintenance problems, noise complaints etc. They want to be charged per issue. Some things would require going on site to meet the trades and some issues could be resolved by...

Brain storming [ 1 Answers ]

How can I narrow a topic to asingle spoke or sub-header of a spoke on the map?

View more questions Search