Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    direlee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2015, 05:21 PM
    Summoned to court in chicago for cc debt less than $3,000
    I live in Chicago, Illinois and I was just given a summons from a cook county sheriff to be in court 3-17-15 for a cc debt of $2,510.12. I am not legally savvy at all. It says I am legally required to file my written appearance by then and file my answer complaint or a judgement will be taken by default. I am fluid and can pay off this debt. The Plaintiff is the original company I signed up for with the cc Barclays Bank Delaware. They included an affidavit as well. How should I go about this? Although I am fluid I'm not really fluid enough to hire a lawyer.
    Sincerely,
    Regretting getting a CC as a young dumb 20 something
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2015, 05:42 PM
    If you owe the money, merely pay it. If you do not owe the money, and have proof that it has been paid, send back to the court, notice that you will defend your case with proof that it has been paid.

Is there a reason it has not been paid (if not paid?) was it a contested debt and if so, is that proof you contested it ?

If it was me, at this point, even if I paid the debt to them now, I would answer the letter saying I would appear in court to prove the debt paid, and show up, just to keep them from getting a judgement after the debt paid.
    direlee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2015, 06:01 PM
    Even if I got a summons I can pay it? Should I call the company and try and settle out of court? Court date is a little more than two weeks away if I settle with them can they drop it and I don't have to show up for court? I do owe the money and intend on paying it.

I can still pay the debt even though I've already been summoned? I do owe the money and am willing to pay it. Can I just call the company and settle out of court? It wasn't paid because I didn't have the money at the time. Like a dumb 20 something they stopped calling so I kind of forgot about it. If I settle out of court do I still have to go to court?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 28, 2015, 06:05 PM
    No, you cannot simply pay it now that there is a court action.

You can however, contact the Plaintiff's attorney in an attempt to settle this out of court.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 2, 2015, 07:39 AM
    ... If I settle out of court do I still have to go to court?
    No. But be sure that, once you have paid, and you answer the complaint, your answer should allege payment. Note that you will also have to pay court costs (and, if its provided for in the contract, perhaps plaintiff's attorney fees).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2015, 08:12 AM
    But, with all of that said, there will be no "settlement' except for you paying in full plus all court and legal fees up to this point. If you are working, and they know it, and this state allows garnishment, they have no reason to settle.

** but, read many of the other questions, if you settle and pay now, be sure to answer with the statement that it was paid, and settled. Get a reciept from the company you pay, and letter that it is paid and they are stopping all court aaction.

But... other people have asked questions here, that said, they paid and a default judgement still happend, because papers filed and they did not appear.
    So if it was me, I would be at court, even if it was "suppose" to be dropped, just to be sure it was. One day wasted, going to court to find, no case, is a lot easier than several days, going, trying to get a default judgement overturned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving the country when summoned to court [ 3 Answers ]

If you are summoned to small claims court, can you leave the country for vacation?

Being summoned to a court out of state for a debt [ 1 Answers ]

This is a really complex situation and if no one can offer advice, I completely understand. I am being summoned to a small claims court that is out of my state for a debt on a service in the amount of $5,200.00 USD. The service was in fact set up by me and was supposed to be paid for by a family...

Summoned by a Debt Collector - what to do [ 2 Answers ]

So here it goes. My wife got summoned from a debt collector and had copies of the original creditor Citibank. The debt collector (attorney) does not want to settle and it looks like we will end up going to court. I never ever said I won't pay but I have said I can't pay. Everything is under my...

Judgement passed without being summoned to court [ 26 Answers ]

Can a judgement be passed on you without being summoned to court to dispute the judgement? If they judgement was passed then why is it only on one of my credit reports and my credit score hasn't gone down? Since the judgement is passed does that mean they can still sue me or are they just going to...

View more questions Search