Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinak23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2014, 07:31 AM
    Car Dispute
    I'm in a bad situation right now. My boyfriend and I got a car about a month ago. We have broken up and he refuses to hand the car over to me. The loan for the car is in MY name only. He has horrible credit and so they wouldn't even put him on the loan. The ownership is in BOTH names. I don't have my drivers license so we had to get the ownership in both names in order to get insurance. I can't trust him to make the payments and I don't want to take the chance with my credit on the line. I am working on getting my licence now so should have it in 8 months and chances of me being able to get another loan from the bank to get another car down the road is very slim if I already have this loan. I just want to know what my options are and my chances of winning if I decide to take him to court. Also, he is on ODSP and CPP so he does not need a vehicle for work.

I mentioned taking him to court and he said he would sue me for all the money he's put into the car and the car payments he makes before this gets settled if I manage to get the car back. Would he win that part if I got the car?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2014, 07:48 AM
    YOU have a real problem them.. because as long as his name is on the title... he is equal owners to it. THat means you are between a rock and a hard place. He doesn't have to hand it to you for that reason... but I would not recommend handing it over to him because of the loan obligation you have.

THis might have to go to court... but keep in mind that might be the better solution... if HE wins and gets the car he would be required to get financing in his name.. and relieve you of the responsibility.

If you win you might have to reimburse him part of what he has in it... but nobody with get 100% back... the vehicle has depreciated in value since it was purchased.

I'm guessing this is going to be a hard learned lesson you won't want to repeat. It's NEVER a good idea to enter into purchases like this with anyone but a spouse without a well written contract specifying who gets what and who is owed what in the event of a breakup. Easier to just not do it in the first place.

The same applies to ever cosigning for anything.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post

I'm guessing this is going to be a hard learned lesson you won't want to repeat. It's NEVER a good idea to enter into purchases like this with anyone but a spouse without a well written contract specifying who gets what and who is owed what in the event of a breakup. Easier to just not do it in the first place.

The same applies to ever cosigning for anything.
    That's great advice. I can't count how many times I've written out loans for cars to people that aren't married. I wonder how many of them fought over the car later on...never a good idea to do this as both people usually wind up as "owners" no matter who it is that is actually paying for it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 09:56 AM
    I am working on getting my licence now so should have it in 8 months
    Although it probably won't matter as far as your legal position is concerned, I feel compelled to note that you can get your license a lot more quickly than that (I taught both of my daughters to drive in just a few weeks each), and you should do so ASAP. If he fails to make the car payments or the insurance (Make arrangements that you be notified if he doesn't do so), you should be prepared immediately take the car (if you can do so without a confrontation - Don't notify him of what you are doing, just do it.). You have the right to do that. And, to that end, be sure that you have a key.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cosigner holding my car hostage over domestic dispute [ 5 Answers ]

OK... here's a tough one. I bought a car with my step-mom as the co-signer and we live in Pennsylvania. I have been making the payments and paying my share of the car insurance. Now my father is mad at me for moving back in with my mother and he and my step-mom have taken my car and cars and...

Dispute a will [ 3 Answers ]

My dad died last year and left a will which wasn't written by him and the witnesses one being dead and the other said he didn't remember signing a will for him the handwriting definitely isn't my dads but the signature is.my dads he was a nasty man who abused me so when I was 14 I left home never...

I purchase a car from private car dealer, they relase pink slip, can they reposes car [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a car last year juy 2009 for 7,800.00 in CA. paid 3,550.00 cash and ended with balance of 4,250.00 NOTE: on contract there was no due day or payoff day- is blank, I have pay them 3,500 as of today, I am currently unemployd and I pay dealership any amout that is posible. Also a month...

Dispute old debt [ 2 Answers ]

Couple of weeks ago I checked my credit report and to my surprise there is a collection account on it for $600 which completely killed my credit score. I called the company and they state that this is a collection for a Lord and Taylor account from 1999. It has been 10 years and just now they...

Dispute Letter [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an odd situation. I recently received a letter from a collection attorney's office for a debt, they gave me 30 days to respond or they would consider the debt legit. I sent a dispute letter almost at 27 days certified mail, stating that I request proof that I owe the debt and what is the...

View more questions Search