Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kate123321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2013, 03:37 PM
    Cefalexin, oral contraceptive , ejaculation
    Hello,
    I have a question concerning the oral contraceptives and antibiotics- I take Qlaira- contraceptive- and yesterday I had sex which finished with ejaculation.Today I had to go to the dentist to have my tooth removed.The dentist gave me Keflex (cefalexin) to take for 6 days- 1000 mg a day.What Can I do about the yesterday;s sex as I HAVE TO take the antibiotic because of severe pain?Will the contraceptive pill stop working today and because of the yestredy's ejaculation the sperm will stay in me and now the antibiotic deminishes the contaceptive protection ?Thank you for the ansewer.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 03:47 PM
    Depending on where you are in your cycle you may or may or not ovulate. The sperm will only last for maybe a day or two longer. That is neither here nor there considering your issue.

You need to take your antibiotics. Refrain from having unprotected sex, because you can really trust your pill for the rest of the cycle until you get your period. You should get it, but there is a chance, very small, that you could become pregnant. If you don't get your period two weeks after you should have then you take your home pregnancy test.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
    You should be okay from yesterday's sex. Having said that, no form of birth control is 100% effective, so there's always a chance of pregnancy when you have sex.

While on the antibiotics you should use an alternate form of birth control, or abstain from sex altogether.

Like Craven said, if you miss your next period wait 2 weeks then test using first morning urine.

Pregnancy can happen any time, even with 2 or more forms of birth control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tathione while taking oral contraceptive pills [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, can I ask if it is safe to take met tathione while taking oral contraceptive pills ( althea, diane35 etc. ) thanks

What oral contraceptive is compatible with Accutane? [ 1 Answers ]

I have started using Accutane, an anti-acne drug, a few days ago. I understand that I should not get pregnant so I want to use an oral contraceptive. I would like to know what type or brand of birth control pills is compatible with Accutane. I have not tried oral contraceptives before. Thanks!

Oral Contraceptive [ 4 Answers ]

Can oral contraceptive make my girlfriend not able to get pregnant once we get married? She's using oral contraceptives now.. Is pills applicable to woman who did not yet get pregnant? Will it be a cause to get not pregnant when we decided to have a baby? I'm worrying if she'll get 'infertile '...

Cefalexin: Is it really safe for pregnancy? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 29 weeks pregnant and done my ultrasound and everything went well. Unfortunately, after that I've got some hemmoroid problems. When my OB checked it, it's swelling and starting or already have some puss cells on it which made it very painful. Because of that, she prescribed me Cefalexin 500mg...

I'm a homeowner with a tenant oral agreement what's my right to end the oral agreeme [ 3 Answers ]

I am a homeowner who shares 1 room to my sister for 5 months.and pay me $500.00 all bills paid. Oral agreement. However she became irrational and violent to the point of threatening to kill my family. I have the case no.of the incident. She is in the process of moving but we changed the lock. I'm...

View more questions Search