Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmbtox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Bypassing a ceiling fan remote
    I am replacing older ceiling fans (there were separate wall dimmer controls for both the light and the fan) with new harbor breeze fans. The wiring is a bit tricky so I would like to bypass the remote altogether. Is it possible to simply omit the receiver and remote and install the fan as a normal non remote fan?

This is the type of remote I have:
    this kit consists of a handheld wireless control and a hard-wired receiver which installs in the ceiling fan canopy, wired between the fan and the power source. These kits do not offer the ability to reverse the motor from the remote (that still has to be done on the fan body) but you do achieve 3 or more fan speeds and light control with dimming. The fan pullchain should be left in the 'high' speed position. The advantage of these kits, over fans with remotes built in, is if the remote is lost or broken, or if something otherwise fails in the receiver, it can be bypassed or replaced easily and the fan can still be used.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 01:16 PM
    If the fans DO have pullchains, you can wire them without the remotes. Wire them as you would a normal fan:

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

What type of ceiling fans are you replacing? You may or may not be able to use the existing controls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Need a Fan Remote for Halsey Ceiling Fan [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know of a universal remote that will work with my fan? The original remote has quit working. I dropped water on it Here is all the information I have on the fan/remote: Remote Control Fan speed control Model UC-7040 120V / 60Hz 1A / 250W Made in Taiwan Used with Halsey Ceiling Fan

Ceiling fan remote [ 1 Answers ]

Bought ceiling fan and a remote unit. I did not realize that the remote that I bought needed to be hooked up to the electrical power switch. I have already installed the receiver end into the fan and do not want to remove it. The remote has two black wires that I assume are suppose to...

Help with installing a ceiling fan with remote [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton bay northport lll 52 " ceiling fan. It has a remote control with it, I have no clue where the wires go to install the receiver. It has a white, black, and blue wire on the output side A white, and red wire ont the input side? Can anyone help me with this... Thank you...

New ceiling fan remote instalation [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new Hampton Bay Ceiling fan. It has a remote control that I need to install. There are the "main" power wires on one side. black white and blue. I know what to do with these. On the other side of the remote are two more wires. Red and white. I am not sure where to connect these. There are...

View more questions Search