Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wepark Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Is there an income tax on life insurance?
    Do we have to pay income tax on life insurance?
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
    In the United States, generally, proceeds from a Life Insurance policy paid out to beneficiaries are not taxable. There are, however, some exceptions. For instance, if the beneficiary is a person's estate, there might be tax implications.

If you have a flexible-premium policy and you make a large enough premium deposit, the IRS could consider your Life Insurance product a "Modified Endowment Contract", which eliminates most tax advantages. Your insurance company should notify you of this possible outcome before actually crediting your deposit to your premium.

Additional Life Insurance Information. (Wikipedia)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Also, certain variable and/or universal life policies CAN be taxable when the portion of the premium that is in fact investment funds and the income generated from the investments are withdrawn from the account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal corporate income tax treatment on state income tax return [ 0 Answers ]

I know that federal corporation tax is deductible on state corporate tax returns but not on federal corporate returns, but is it deductible on state corporate returns? You may generalize your answer or you may limit it to Florida Form F-1120 if you like. I have been told that it can but I can't...

Tax payable in usa against life insurance policy matured in india and pf amount rece [ 3 Answers ]

I am filing my tax retruns as us resident waiting for my green card, my lic life insurance policies matured in india recently and i also received pf amount from my previuos company . They are not taxable in india. Do i pay tax in usa on this .the policies matured after 20 years out of which 18...

Shall I be successful in insurance agency( life insurance corporation of india) [ 2 Answers ]

At present I am a life insurance agent full timer since last 01 year but not much business. I want to know whether I shall be successful in this profession.

Fed Income Tax Not Withheld on W-2 from Insurance Co. For Short-Term Disability [ 2 Answers ]

I had surgery in 2008 and received short-term disability benefits for 6 weeks. The cost of the STD insurance was fully paid by my employer. I received my W-2 from the insurance company, and they didn't withhold federal, state or city taxes - just Social Security and Medicare. How do I handle...

View more questions Search