Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kailanicole93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2011, 07:55 PM
    How to convince my boyfriend to not let me hold him back from going to the army?
    My boyfriend has wanted to go to the army for a very long time and when him and I started getting serious he's having second thoughts because he thinks its not fair for me if he goes. I'm trying to convince him that its okay and ill support him 100%. I don't want to be the reason for holding him back from doing something he has a passion for and I have tried telling him all this but it just isn't working. Does anybody have any advice for what I should do?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 17, 2011, 08:05 PM
    We don't see the whole picture. Does he have a job, is he in school? Then let him have second thoughts. If he's aimless and out of work, he may be thinking (rightly) that the military will help him find his path. He may also be using you as his crutch to keep from making ANY decisions, so try to tell us more. He may be worried about losing you (does happen of course, when apart). He may even be worried that you are too eager to see him join.
    In other words, no matter what reason and rational thinking you use, he won't accept it if it isn't what he wants to hear. He has to decide.
    One thing I might do is ask him about all the branches, what they offer, what he'd learn, where he might be sent, what benefits he'd have when he got out, and so on.
    Marriage of course would solve some of this, but you don't say how far along you are with this.
    Triysle Posts: 245, Reputation: 84

Apr 28, 2012, 07:58 PM
    There is an unfortunate reputation of infidelity between soldiers and significant others when deployed.

No one knows the situation better than the two of you and there are a lot of factors that must be considered before making a commitment to serve one's country. There is an equal (or greater) commitment that you must make to each other.

I was single for my deployment so I'm not the best source. I know plenty of soldiers that cheated or were cheated on while deployed. It's also one of the leading causes of suicide and reckless behavior.

Sorry I can't be more inspiring. Everyone is different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get married to my boyfriend before he leaves for the Army? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am 23 years old and I'm thinking about getting married. My boyfriend is leaving for the Army on January 21st. We don't know if we should wait till he gets back to get married or get married before he leaves do to the benefits?

How can I convince my Pare since I'm 13 that I'm old enough for a 16 year old boyfriend [ 13 Answers ]

Okay,So I have had intiment relations with this boy that just turned 16 and I snuck out to be with him like 3 times and we both like eahother a lot but my grandma doesn't trust me.Im not asking to be alone with him just like him come hang out at my house or his with people around us.so how do I...

I want my boyfriend to join the army [ 6 Answers ]

I was reading about the benefits of joining the army.. as well as the possible struggles.. With both our personalities I believe the military life would be beneficial to us both, together. But how do I go about mentioning this to my boyfriend without him thinking I'm pushing the idea on him? He...

Army boyfriend keeps changing his mind on Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years. He is in the Army and has been in Korea for 10 months. He returns in 2 months. But,my boyfriend broke up with me just 2 months after he got there. Called me the very next day he broke up talked to me like nothing happen. Then, every time he calls me says...

Depressed army boyfriend. It's killing me. [ 6 Answers ]

I've been dating this guy for about a year, we met right before he went into the army so I knew what I was getting myself into, well kind of. The first 6-7 months were great I'm talking head over heels in love, we saw each other every possible chance and couldn't talk enough through texts or phone...

View more questions Search