Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 08:28 AM
    Gitmo detainee on trial in NY. Where are the attacks?
    Hello:

Remember right wingers telling us that if we hold a trial for Guantanamo detainees in NY, NY will be attacked, and that we should FEAR a trial here?? I do.

Did you know that a Gitmo detainee is on trial right NOW in NY? Are you scared? Do you know that you SHOULD be?

Now, it's true, the trial isn't going well for Obama. It seems that evidence obtained through TORTURE isn't going to be allowed in our courts. Who would have thunk that?? Of course, the rigged military commissions in Gitmo would. The rule of law doesn't apply there.

But, don't let the right wingers scare you again. He's NOT going to be released EVEN if he's acquitted. They have OTHER made up rules that'll allow them to keep him indefinitely.

Here's the problem with the situation.. Bush broke it. He tortured people, and in the process, forever TAINTED any prosecution of them by our regular and ordinary VALUES, and that would the RULE OF LAW. Yeah, yeah. I know the wingers will scream about me blaming Bush, but when you break it FOREVER, ain't NOBODY going to fix it.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 10:07 AM

Obama is going to have to suck it up and take the blame for Bush's actions. So what's so hard to understand about that? He's failing so this is just another "pile it on Obama and blame him" scenerio. He's going to become weaker and even less effective as a POTUS than he already is. Wouldn't be surprised if he never leaves the WH in his last year in office and only sends out his "clone" instead for fear of assination attempts/successes.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 02:30 PM

Again mischaracterizing what was said. This trial is for a guy who planned the twin bombings of Embassies in Africa . At the time ,we were talking about Khalid Sheik Mohammed ,the mastermind behind 9-11. In fact ,Eric Holder had announced that 5 terrorist jihadists who had been involved would be tried in lower Manhattan.

Security concerns were one issue ,but not my primary one. These are people who should not be subject the civilian court system .They deserved the tribunal system that has been set up and approved by the Democrat Congress and the Democrat President in 2009. Under the circumstances a civilian trial is unwarranted because the very nature of capture on the battle field that is a stark difference from capture under civilian rules .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 03:10 PM
    The very question that these people should be tried in the US for acts committed in another country calls the process into question.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 03:32 PM

Twelve Americans were killed in the Nairobi bombing. The point is it was an act of war . Eric Holder must be too stupid the realize that questioning by the CIA is probably not admissible evidence. Either that ,or like terrorist he helped get pardoned before ,it is a legit question to wonder where his sympathies lie.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Twelve Americans were killed in the Nairobi bombing. The point is it was an act of war . Eric Holder must be too stupid the realize that questioning by the CIA is probably not admissable evidence. Either that ,or like terrorist he helped get pardoned before ,it is a legit question to wonder where his sympathies lie.
    Just because they were americans doesn't change the jurisdiction, surely there were Kenyans murdered too and they could be tried for those deaths as well as the americans in Kenya. This is a show trial.

It might have been an act of war in your eyes, but it was an act of terrorism, an act of murder, a crime in the nation where it was committed
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 06:16 PM

Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani wasn't captured by Kenya or in Kenya .He was captured in Pakistan . In Pakistan he was planning further attacks against Americans and American interests. The US Embassy in Kenya is a US possession by law . So his attack was against America regardless of who else was killed . As far as I know he is not under extradition request by Kenya.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2010, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani wasn't captured by Kenya or in Kenya .He was captured in Pakistan . In Pakistan he was planning further attacks against Americans and American interests. The US Embassy in Kenya is a US possession by law . So his attack was against America regardless of who else was killed . As far as I know he is not under extradition request by Kenya.
    Then his position is the same as the illegal combatants in gitmo. This man wasn't captured on US soil he has been the subject of a rendition. I'm not arguing he doesn't have a case to answer, just that it is convenient that he should be arrested in a foreign country for an attack in another foreign country and tried in the US

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obama starving Gitmo guests [ 17 Answers ]

Guantanamo Bay rations detainees’ ice cream portions That's an outrage, only one ice cream per detainee. Why is no one protesting this clearly abusive detainee treatment?

Good news on Gitmo closure? [ 11 Answers ]

That's right ladies and gentleman, good news - the Obama administration is considering releasing some Gitmo detainees... in the U.S according to AG Eric "nation of cowards" Holder. Europe doesn't want them, you can't send them home to be tortured, and you darn sure can't keep them in...

Rights to a speedy trial and can they keep your legally obtained money until the trial? [ 5 Answers ]

15 months ago the APD(Albany Police Department in Oregon) served a search warrant at our home. We had just gotten a settlement from a major motorcycle wreck my other half was in and had cash in our home. We have documents to prove we had just gotten this money 6 days prior to the search warrant....

I'd rather be at Gitmo [ 14 Answers ]

And here I thought everyone wanted Gitmo shut down... Jennifer Daskal in the Washington Compost goes further... Since we must close Gitmo, can't keep these people and can't guarantee their safety when released, just what exactly should the US do with your run of the mill Jihadist?...

View more questions Search