Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshAU Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 04:11 AM
    Calculating most accurate mean prediction from two ranges of predictions.
    Hi all.
    I have a program written in visual basic 6 that calculates predictions using a standard statistics equation.. ie YPredicted = Ymean +/- R(Sy/Sx)(X-Xmean)
    ... the calculations are not the problem

I have a variety of inputs that are used to create the prediction equation, and I want to estimate the accuracy or otherwise of using one or more sets of inputs, so as to see what is the best set of inputs to use in order to obtain the most accurate prediction.

I have another program, that I am designing to see which is the most accurate set of inputs to use, that makes statistically random selections from a database of over 500K rows, selecting, for example 1000 rows.
    the program then calculates a number of predictions, each using a variety of inputs, so at the end I have, for each row, an actual figure, and several different predicted values for these same figures.
    From each of these values, I can therefore quite easily calculate the error in the prediction for each given method or selection of inputs.

So, I then have a array of actual predictions, and the errors of these predictions, for each method, or group of inputs, for the prediction.

What I want to be able to do is summarise this info.
    I guess what I'm asking is:
    how can I tell which prediction method is the most accurate for the given sample...
    i.e. is it the one where the means of the predicted error is the lowest, or is it the one where the standard deviation of such predictions is the smallest, and includes the actual prediction..

e.g. actual = 100KP/H
    Mean Predicted 1 = 101 KP/H, std dev of 5 KP/H
    or
    Mean Predicted 2 = 102 KP/H, std dev of 3 KP/H
    How do I calculate which is the most accurate...

While the first is actually the closest predicted mean to the actual mean, the std deviation is a lot higher than the second.

I have a fairly good knowledge of statistics, but, as I am entirely self taught, I have LOTS of holes in my knowledge.
    Any help/advice greatly appreciated...
    Thank you

Check out some similar questions!

How accurate is a 20 week gender prediction [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I were told at our 20 week ultrasound that we were having a boy. The tech told us she was 100 percent sure that we were having a boy. How accurate is her statement. Is it safe to buy blue?

Is It Possible To Make Accurate Predictions From Astrology? [ 31 Answers ]

Be great in fight, be glorious in defeat! For, astrology is a virtue to give you the light to live your life with wisdom. Seek help from it; do not depend on it blindly.

When did accurate rainfall prediction become possible? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I am helping my son with a research paper. Need a year or time eriod when accurate rainfall prediction became possible - Thanks! Helen

Mountain Ranges [ 1 Answers ]

Which mountain range, above or below sea level, is the longest in the world-the Andes, the Rocky Mountains, or the Mid-Atlantic Ridge?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.