Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Obama starving Gitmo guests
    Guantanamo Bay rations detainees’ ice cream portions

By Daily Mail Reporter

Detainees’ diets at Guantanamo Bay have been a controversial issue for some time and now the U.S. prison is said to be rationing ice cream.

The frozen dessert is allegedly being tightly measured, with only one ice cream allowed for each of its 147 detainees.

Journalist for The Miami Herald, Carol Rosenberg, photographed a refrigerator at Guantanamo, with two signs reading ‘DETAINEE FOOD ONLY’ and ‘Only 1 Ice Cream For each detainee!’
    Ice cream is allegedly being tightly measured at Guantanamo Bay, with only one ice cream allowed for each of its 147 detainees

Ice cream is allegedly being tightly measured at Guantanamo Bay, with only one ice cream allowed for each of its 147 detainees

Rosenberg revealed: ‘Found this fridge for Guantanamo detainee food in the rotunda of Camp 6, the most populous of the U.S Navy base prison camps on Sept. 23, 2010 with nearly 90 captives.’

The report comes after much debate on the feeding of U.S. detainees suspected of terrorism, where under feeding in the past has angered human rights advocates.

‘Until recently the prison camps boasted on their website that they provide the 174 war on terror detainees with 5,500 – 6,000 calories a day’, Rosenberg wrote.

But early detainees were said to have been barely given enough food to survive, while others later tried to starve themselves by attempting hunger strikes.

The ice cream rationing has now led the journalist to question Guantanamo Bay’s motives, suspecting that it might be an attempt to reduce spending.
    That's an outrage, only one ice cream per detainee. Why is no one protesting this clearly abusive detainee treatment?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2010, 10:34 AM
    LOL! That article is actually funny. Oh DailyFail, you never cease to amuse.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 10:47 AM

I'd give them the Sheriff Joe Diet . Why should they get better food than other prisoners in custody ?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 12:15 PM
    Did anyone take the time to find out of these detainee's were lactose intolerant :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Did anyone take the time to find out of these detainee's were lactose intolerant :p
    Is the ice cream Halal?
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    LOL! That article is actually funny. Oh DailyFail, you never cease to amuse.
    Though there's plenty of humor to be found here, I guess you missed that the source was not the Daily Mail, but Carol Rosenberg of the Miami Herald.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 27, 2010, 01:53 PM

Just offer them pork chops and applesauce on Wed and Sun. Or as written I history. Let them eat cake!!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Sad that these terrorists have a better diet than billions of others in the world, ice cream, why don't they give them some other american fare, hot dogs, that would boost their calorie intake, or perhaps some hot cakes and syrup.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 27, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    sad that these terrorists have a better diet than billions of others in the world, ice cream, why don't they give them some other american fare, hot dogs, that would boost their calorie intake, or perhaps some hot cakes and syrup.
    Here is what they are eating. For breakfast too.

Defense.gov News Article: Detainees Eat Well, Gain Weight on Camp Delta's Muslim Menu
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2010, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I'd give them the Sheriff Joe Diet . Why should they get better food than other prisoners in custody ?
    Hello tom:

Uhhhh, because they haven't been convicted of anything??

I know. I know - that pesky Constitution... A conviction, or not, is a small matter to you Constitution loving Tea Partiers. You only MOUTH the words about the Constitution, and hollow WORDS is all they are. You certainly disdain the Constitution when it's convenient.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 03:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello tom:

Uhhhh, because they haven't been convicted of anything???

excon
    Ex, no one is worried about convicting them because when you do what are you going to do with them? These people were obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time, and, look, they are guilty of something, somewhere, we just haven't worked out what it is yet. I say we convict them of jaywalking and make them pay their own fares home. I'm not concerned that that might represent a death sentence because they were fighters in a war and had they been left alone they would probably be dead by now. Hand them over to their respective countries and let them deal with them.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello tom:

Uhhhh, because they haven't been convicted of anything???

I know. I know - that pesky Constitution... A conviction, or not, is a small matter to you Constitution loving Tea Partiers. You only MOUTH the words about the Constitution, and hollow WORDS is all they are. You certainly disdain the Constitution when it's convenient.

excon
    Never heard of the need to convict prisoners of war before. Where is that in the Constitution ?
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Never heard of the need to convict prisoners of war before. Where is that in the Constitution ?
    Which war was that Tom? Last I heard these are illegal combatants, not soldiers, so that makes them criminals and terrorists under somebody's law. What is probably illegal is that America has renditioned them from their country of arrest and is holding them without trial.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 07:42 AM

I agree they are illegal combatants... Everyone agrees to that .However they are 'soldiers' in anyone's 21st century definition of warfare .(in other words the Geneva Definion is outmoded )

The reason that they have not been tried hear is because the libs have blocked the court ,legislative ,and previous executive's approved trial methods(aka military tribunals) .
    The problem here is that the libs want to treat them like someone who held up a 7-11 or Mickey D's .
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 07:47 AM
    The reason that they have not been tried hear is because the libs have blocked the court ,legislative ,and previous executive's approved trial methods(aka military tribunals) .
    Hello again, tom:

Really?? Where was I when that was going on??

What IN FACT happened is that time after time, the VERY CONSERVATIVE Supreme Court ruled AGAINST the Bush administrations' attempt to railroad these people. Yup that old pesky Constitution got in the way.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 07:51 AM

Is the Military Commissions Act not the law of the land ?
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 08:00 AM
    Is the Military Commissions Act not the law of the land ?
    Hello again, tom:

So, the ONLY thing blocking a trial is the wussyness of Obama??

Seems to me that the Military Commissions Act, SIGNED by President George W. Bush on October 17, 2006 would have done the trick.

Let me see... That was FOUR years ago. Obama was still in Kenya.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 08:08 AM

Nope ,it was revised over court concerns in 2009 . Bush would've conducted them but ,as you said,the courts intervened.
    Fine . I see no court challenges to the 2009 version of the act. Where are the tribunals ? Why does the President persist in this crazy notion of trials as if these detainees are civilian ? What happened to his pledge to close Gitmo in his 1st year ?
    Tribunals are the only answer ,and the sooner they commence ,the sooner some of the creatins there can be executed ,instead of being fed ice cream.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starving myself. [ 34 Answers ]

How long would you need to starve yourself to lose weight? If you're eating like 200 calories a day, how much weight would you lose per week (approx.) and how long would it take to kick in? All answers are appreciated, but if you're going to tell me starving yourself is stupid, I know. I am fat,...

Alternative to starving? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, the internet really confuses me and I was hoping someone with actual knowledge of weight loss could help! Basically Im in my early twenties, size 10 clothes and weigh 9 stone but have inches of loose flab around my stomach and mid section. I eat healthily and tried 40 minutes of cardio 5...

Good news on Gitmo closure? [ 11 Answers ]

That's right ladies and gentleman, good news - the Obama administration is considering releasing some Gitmo detainees... in the U.S according to AG Eric "nation of cowards" Holder. Europe doesn't want them, you can't send them home to be tortured, and you darn sure can't keep them in...

Dinner Party Etiquette - guests inviting more guests! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a small dinner party with family members. A month ago I sent out an email invitation to the all the family living near by, total of 12 guests. Now, 3 days before the party one of the family members has invited 6 more people to my party, 4 are family from out of town, 2 are dates. ...

I'd rather be at Gitmo [ 14 Answers ]

And here I thought everyone wanted Gitmo shut down... Jennifer Daskal in the Washington Compost goes further... Since we must close Gitmo, can't keep these people and can't guarantee their safety when released, just what exactly should the US do with your run of the mill Jihadist?...

View more questions Search