Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aimee_tt Posts: 340, Reputation: 143

Sep 9, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Would steam make a fire alarm go off?
    My fire alarm went off last night at 1.30 am and scared the heck out of me!

Before I went to bed, when I turned the light off in the lounge room the fire alarm went off. I turn the light on and it stopped. SO I turned the light back off and it didn't start, so I went to bed.

So when I woke up at 1.30 to a screaming alarm. I ran through the house trying to find the fire and didn't. So I took the batteries out and went back to sleep. (probally not a smart idea but I was tired and cranky).

I know it could just be playing up but I also had the drier going a little earlier and it would have stopped about half an hour before the alarm went off. The drier makes the laundry moist as in the windows are wet and the cubards in there are wet.

Last night was the only night I had used the drier that late. (Trying to do mums washing so when she gets back from her holiday she won't have to worry about not having clean clothes). Could it be the steam from the laundry? Or should I look for a new battery/smoke detector?

Thank you
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2010, 05:39 PM

Low battery doesn't usually trigger an Alarm. Is this a Smoke or Heat Detactor, all on one zone?
    Is this part of a Fire.Burglar system(12 or 24 volts, or is this a 120 volt system.
    If 120 volts, look for a red Led on a detector that caused the alarm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My bldg. Fire alarm smoke detector zone keeps giving an alarm even when board is rese [ 1 Answers ]

Want to troubleshoot my fire alarm system having trouble with my 5th floor smokes they keep giving an alarm when there is'nt one could it be my end of line resistor? What could it be? Need a starting point.

Why does the fire alarm keep going off [ 5 Answers ]

The fire alarm keeps going off and there is no fire

Fire alarm [ 7 Answers ]

What is the principle difference between class A and class B fire alarm wiring

Fire Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About 3 days ago, a new fire alarm was installed in my condo unit. In the process, the technician turned off the breaker for the central AC unit. Yesterday I decided to turn on my air conditioner (the breaker was still off). I noticed that the guy turned off the breaker while the AC was...

View more questions Search