Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anelinamudav Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Where are the poles for a ring shaped magnet?
    Where are the poles of a ring magnet?

Aug 26, 2010, 09:15 AM

Where are the poles for a ring shaped magnet?

Aug 26, 2010, 09:17 AM

Why water doesn't spills out when ice cubes are dropped inside a beaker full of water?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 10:02 AM

In a ring shaped magnet, one face is the north pole, while the other face is the south pole.

As for the ice cube... I never heard of that, and I know that ice cubes once made a glass full of water overflow...

EDIT: That just didn't make sense... lol

What I meant was I once put ice cubes in a glass full of water, and the water overflowed.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 10:16 AM

Agree with Unk on the magnet queston.

As for ice cubes - good old Archimedes is at play here. The question is usually posed like this:

I put ice cubes into a glass, then fill the glass with water to the rim. Ice being less dense than water - the top of the ice cubes actually stick up above the rim of the glass. So as the ice melts and turns to water why doesn't the glass overflow?

The answer has to do with the fact that the volume of water displaced by the ice cube (the volume of the ice cube at the water line and below) is equal in weight to the ice cube. When the ice cube melts, its resulting volume as water is equal to the volume of water it originally displaced when it was ice. Stated another way - because water is denser than ice, the volume of the melted ice cube water is smaller than the original ice cube.

Hope this gets at what you're asking.
    fatima.muskaan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 05:10 AM
    May be its because as the cube of the ice is dropped it absorbs water

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poles [ 4 Answers ]

Agent Bond is standing on a bridge, 12 m above the road below, and his Pursuers are getting too close for comfort. He spots a flatbed truck approaching at 25 m/s Which he measures by knowing that the telephone poles the truck is passing are 25 m Apart in this country. The bed of the truck is 1.5...

Cube shaped magnet loses magnetism [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2x2x2 shaped magnet made by the company Starrett. I believe it is an automotive tool. It has a button on it that when pressed the magnet loses all magnetism. How does this work? I'm so curious my brain is cramping up. Thank You!! ...

Number of poles [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, How many poles do you need to fence a 3 acre area?

Raising Poles [ 8 Answers ]

I am going to sink 6x6 posts that are 16' long. I intend to put them 4 ' in the ground and then concert them. They must have correct placement within a 1/4 inch. I have a fifty horse tractor and a small bomb pole. Other than that I might have one or two men to help me. Any suggestions about how to...

2 poles geometry [ 2 Answers ]

This is a popular problem but I have not seem to find the solution to it and I am in desperate need of help. Two Poles Problem.. Two poles are 30 ft and 20 ft tall and are perpendicular to level ground. The two poles are 40 ft apart along the ground. If wires are attached to the top of each...

View more questions Search