Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mer7695 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 10:32 AM
    Im 14 and I weigh 210 pounds
    Hello everyone.
    I'm 14 years old and I'm overweight, I have asthma and I cannot run at all.
    My asthma is really bad I lose my breath quickly..
    I really want to lose weight though, I'm tierd of people making fun of me and not wanting to talk to me beacause I'm overweight..
    I also have low self esteem, I wish I can feel better about myself and have higher self esteem, please I need help.
    My bmi is a 36 and it should be about 15.6.
    How can I lose some weight?
    Sheran Posts: 11, Reputation: 6

Mar 30, 2010, 11:11 AM

First of all I have to ask: Are you tall for your age?

I ask because this is going to affect how much weight your going to lose. But believe me I understand, when I was in 9th grade I was wearing size 22 jeans. Not nice! So I got myself on a diet. I use to have one cup of oatmeal as breakfast every morning with about 8 onz of juice. Then all I would eat was salad and chicken at lunch and dinner. Just drank water, took vitamins, and have snacks between meals (usually a yogurt with less that 80 calories or a fruit). Then, you need to exercise. Since you have asthma maybe you can try excercising at home. You can buy some dvds and start. Do it at your own rhytim but rememeber to always push deeper. When you think you can't do anymore try for another 5 minutes and stop. Do at least half an hour 3 times a week to start, then maybe start with half hour daily and so on until you can excersice without going dizzy pr anything.

On another note, I have to say maybe you should get help too. Not only a nutricionist which would actually help you design a diet specially for you, but also psychological help. Not that I think you're crazy or anything but low self-esteem is still there even when you lose all the weight you want to. Is still there because it doesn't matter how good you look or how healthy deep down you still feel like the fat kid. So getting help is good. Luckily I have my friends to remind me that not only am I sexy but I'm beautiful inside and out. And I will tell you one thing, I have no doubts that you are a beautiful person inside and out, just can't see yourself because other peoples opinions are making you blind. Still, for your health, your astham and all the other things that come with being overweight you should lose weight.

Hope I could help, and good luck!! If you need anything just ask... ;)
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:40 AM

Sheran gave some really great advice. Oatmeal is a great healthy breakfast. Just make sure you're not making it unhealthy by adding lots of sugar or anything or starting with an instant one that already has lots of sugar. Fresh or dried fruit is a great way to sweeten it up without making it into something unhealthy.

Salads and lean meats (chicken breasts, like sheran suggested) are good too. Have some fun with the salads to they don't get boring. Go for the darker green lettuces. You don't just have to add veggies to your salad. You can add fruits too. Cheese crumbles are tasty too, but if you're using whole milk cheeses, be careful not to add too much. Also, pay attention to the dressings you're using. Creamy ones are yummy but tend be higher in calories and fat. One of my favorite salads is just dark greens, crumbled goat cheese, a little sea salt, pepper, and just a splash of rice wine vinegar. The rice wine vinegar has a lot of flavor to it so you don't need to use much. When I add fruits to salad I'll sometimes make my own dressing using nonfat greek (or your favorite) yogurt, honey, and a little fresh orange or mango juice.

Also, no sodas. Stick to water. When you have juice, make sure you're paying attention to the ingredients. You don't want the "juices" that have artificial colors and flavors and extra sugar and so much garbage it can't even really be considered juice. You want actual juice.

Small frequent healthy meals are better than a few big meals. Nuts, dried fruit, carrots, celery, other fruits and veggies are good snacks. Avoid chips and cookies.

Have you talked to your dr about your asthma? Asthma is not an excuse to not exercise. Running is not the only option for exercise. For you just need to learn moderation. There's nothing wrong with long walks. Or maybe a slow, mellow bike ride.
    luv2dancwu Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2010, 06:08 PM

I have to agree with the 2 people before me but you must make sure that there is no sugar in anything even low fat drsg has more sugar than regular drsg. Sugar gives you asthma as well as other health problems... google "How bad is sugar for you" Stay away from anything white... rice, bread, potatoes. Use brown rice pasta, yams, rye bread without sugar of course or bread made with spelt or kamut flour. Also stay away from milk and milk products since milk is for calfs to gain weight... google"how bad is milk for you" and drink almond milk instead with your cereal use fruit to sweeten... almond butter instead of peanuts with jam made with fruit and grape juice concentrate on rice cakes,, yummy. Eat fruit instead of juice, blue corn chips with salsa instead of potato chips. TVP and beans instead of beef. Chicken and fish, seafood. Lemon juice and olive oil on salads. Use raw nuts and seeds with fruit for a snack. Buy as much organic as possible that way you are not giving the conventional farmers the right to pollute our water, soil and air.
    mer7695 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2010, 08:26 PM

I am 5'4
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2010, 11:25 PM

Your height doesn't make me think to change any of my advice.
    Alexzandrea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2011, 02:06 PM
    I get how you feel I am 5'9 and way 208 I am very self conciuse and I have ,low self esteem,and I have bad knees (I have some stupid thing I can't remember the name of) but my doctor told me not to run a lot and I don't because it hurts along with a lot of other things. Back around 5 weeks ago I got really mad because every one said the only way you'll lose weight is if you run everyday and stop eating all this stuff, and I didn't want to do that I like eating what everyone else eats so I did I just stopped eating a lot I would eat just enough so I wasn't getting light headed,and I would eat ice chips for snacks.Then I started walking just up and down our drive way for an hour or two mabey three but I would text and listen to music and just think,I did this every otherday and doing that I not only went from being 214 to 208 I learned that I can do it and have the foods I want and not have to push my limits and it may not be a fast way to lose weight but it's a way to lose it and less lickely to put it back on again.
    GabbyMS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2013, 10:19 PM
    Here's the deal.. I know exactly the feeling.. The thing that is really important is that you have to stay consistent. A diet is great but you have to stick with it. It isn't an overnight thing but keep to it and you will be able to do anything.. Good luck my dear! (:
    terridioneallen Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2013, 06:38 AM
    I know what your talking about sweetheart, I'm 14 and 5'4 and 200 lbs. I think I need some of this advice too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I lose 80 pounds? I weigh 170? [ 9 Answers ]

I lost 15 pounds by restricting calories, and then I Couldn't lose anymore no matter what I did. So then I went on the atkins diet and lost another 15 pounds... but I'm tired of eating the same old food. At my weight I need about 80 grams of protein a day... I'm thinking of going back on the atkins...

Soon to be 18 years old and I weigh 120 pounds(male) [ 18 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm a 17 year old male about to be turning 18 in October. I haven't been able to gain any weight for the last couple of years. I've tried to put on muscle and it added a couple of pounds but I still hover around 120-125 no matter what I do. I eat breakfast and usually a big dinner...

How much to 1800 cc's in fat weigh in pounds? [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently had a breast reduction. They removed approximately 1800 cc's from my breasts. I'm wondering how many pounds that equates to.

I'm 12 and weigh 177 pounds any tips? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 12 years old 177 pounds about 5'5 and have high blood pressure I need help losing weight and have tried can some one please give me some tips?? Thanks! I am also very scared!

View more questions Search