Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flutterby4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 06:32 PM
    If I inherate a car that is not paid for does the estate pay it off
    My brother left me a car in his will. It still has a loan on it will the estate pay that off
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 06:34 PM

Depends on the terms of the will, normally yes they would pay it off before they give it to you.

It will have to be paid off before they can change the title over to you
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 06:45 PM

Sorry for your loss but your brother can only will what he owns, which is part of a car. Unless the will species that all debts will be paid by the estate you would be obligated to pay off the debt or allow the loan company to repossess and liquidate. When did he pass and who is the executor of the estate?
    flutterby4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sorry for your loss but your brother can only will what he owns, which is part of a car. Unless the will species that all debts will be paid by the estate you would be obligated to pay off the debt or allow the loan company to repossess and liquidate. When did he pass and who is the executor of the estate?
    He passed in Nov 2009 his daughter is his executor he had 4 cars in total and this is the only one not paid for. He was very responsible about his bills we have not had the opportunity to view the will yet legally I believe that they have 90 days to get everyone that is in the will a copy (which is today) I can not believe that my brother would give something that had debt afixed to it
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 12:29 PM

Assets with debt attached happen all of the time, especially with property and homes. Maybe he thought the car would be paid for by the time this would be an issue. Ask his daughter for the will and read all provisions. Unless the will speaks directly to the car or how unpaid debts would be treated you may need to cover the unpaid balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a list of who gets paid first when distributing my mother's estate? [ 5 Answers ]

I think "estate" is overstating thing a bit, but I don't know what else to call it. My mother died intestate last October. She had no real estate, nor any valuable personal property and the clerk of court has waived the inventory accounting since her total worth was determined to be less than...

Sold my car to a car dealer Now He won't pay [ 3 Answers ]

I'm very fustrated... I bought a used car from my boyfriends friend I gave 5000 as down payment a finished to pay the car in less then the agreed time... I had to go out of the country for an emergency and that is why I paid of the car before the estimated time... I traded in my old car gave him a...

Car Paid for; No Car Titles [ 23 Answers ]

Here’s my issue. I bought a 1999 Mitshubishi Mirage on October 26, 2008. I paid $2700 with a check to Nissan. So the car is paid for. My fiance’ and I went to pay the taxes on the car and Mid-City Auto Title and Insurance informed me that I needed the titles. So I have been calling them about...

P.O.C. Or Paid Outside of Closing (real estate) [ 4 Answers ]

I am starting the process for buying a home and I was wondering what payment is a typically P.O.C. in the Philadelphia, PA area?

View more questions Search