Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 10:36 PM
    Phlebotomy information
    I am going to ask my enrollment counselor Thursday at my orentation. But I was DYING of curiosity and couldn't find anything about it on Google or anywhere else. So I was wondering,
    I start school on Tuesday, for Phlebotomy tech. they train us fully from what I understand. Called 'level 3' and I guess we don't just draw the blood, we are also trained to run the tests and analysis as well.

What I'm curious about is once I complete the course, and have my diploma certificate, to be hired as a phlebotomist do I need the N1H1 Vaccine or even the Swine Flu Vaccine?
    I ask because I'm allergic to them both (hives and shortness of breath) and if they are required, are there ways around that?

My aunt is a cardiac ICU Nurse, and she MUST have both flu vaccines. Which I understand working with ICU patients and all.

Thanks for your time.
    Its OK if I can't get an answer before I get back to the school to ask the enrollment counselor. :)
    nicckidoodle Posts: 146, Reputation: 4

Feb 6, 2010, 03:38 PM

Nope you don't need either, I'm a phlebotomist and have worked in a hosptal for over a year before leaving to raise my child, and the answer is no, they can and will advise you to have them but it is not a requriment, if you are allergic then that is just how it is and they cannot force you to get in, I was pregnant and they were pressuring everyone to get both shots ( we were going to get the first released rounds of h1n1,) but I politelly refused and that was that!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    do i need the N1H1 Vaccine or even the Swine Flu Vaccine?
    Jenny hun, H1N1 and Swine Flu are the same thing. There is only one vaccine. No one is REQUIRED to have the vaccine, but it is strongly urged that we have it.

I am curious how you know you are allergic to it as this is the first year it has been available. Have you already had the vaccine this year and that's how you found your allergy? Your aunt was not REQUIRED to have the vaccine either, it was just strongly urged.

In the end, no you do not have to have the vaccine, and remember, they are the same virus. The reason for the different names is that people were beginning to think that they could get sick from eating pork, so the WHO decided to stop calling it the Swine Flu and call it by it's scientific name... H1N1.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 04:22 PM

Yes, I would say even your Aunt had a choice if she wanted to push it, You will or could be drawing blood from dozens and dozens of people a day The one in the place I worked was fussing about how many they did one day. ( They travel from hosptial room to room, drawing the blood to cart it to the lab.)

Others do nothing but one client after another in testing labs.

The people you see will have all sorts of diseases, some very contagious, and others not so much, So in the level of worry, the swine flu will be the least of your worries of things to catch.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 07:32 PM

Sorry j_9, type. I meant just 'flu' and added 'swine' in there on accedent lol.

I've never had the swine flu vaccine, but my doc told me that if I'm allergic to the regular flu shot (which I got and found out maybe... a year ago? A year and a half? I think) then its better not to chance it with the other one too and just not get either.

Thanks everyone
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    sorry j_9, type. i meant just 'flu' and added 'swine' in there on accedent lol.

ive never had the swine flu vaccine, but my doc told me that if im allergic to the regular flu shot (which i got and found out maybe...a year ago? a year and a half? i think) then its better not to chance it with the other one too and just not get either.

thanks everyone
    Ah, these mistakes happen, lol.

If you are allergic it is best to stay away. Remember that H1N1 is only a flu. If you work in a hospital drawing blood you will be exposed too much worse.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 08:11 PM

Yeah I'm not concerned about the swineflu hype anyway. Its always sad when someone has complications from an illness but its not THAT bad, my 6 year old got it, and my grandmother. It was really just the flu that lasted a really long time lol
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Yeah, I have a ton of friends who have had it. I've known a couple of people who have died from it. But again, we can all die just getting into the car and going to WalMart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I used you information on connecting information from sheet to sheet in Excel and it [ 1 Answers ]

I used your explanation on connecting information from sheet to sheet in Excel and it worked great but I would like to know how to write the formula so that the value will change on sheet 2 when it is changed on sheet 1 automatically if I have to make any changes ? (I am doing year end receipts)

Phlebotomy trainging/school [ 7 Answers ]

Now that I have my GED, *YAY ME! * I have decided that after the holidays I am going to go into phlebotomy. I checked all of my options, and this field interests me, and I would be extreamly good at it. And it won't take as long to finish training/scholing as it would to become a vet tech or...

Phlebotomy interns needed? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just completed my phlebotomy tech course in May 2009. I went to quinsigamond college in worcester mass. I missed the internship for U-Mass memorial by 1 point! I am now having trouble finding a place that will take me. I have my certificate and I know my stuff, it's just that everywhere...

How long should I stay in this Phlebotomy Internship? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working towards a certificate in Phlebotomy, and I'm 3 weeks away from obtaining it! My school didn't offer any internships, but luckily my aunt used to work for a small clinic, and got me an internship. I'm the only phlebotomist there! It's an unpaid Internship, and it's everyday 9am...

Phlebotomy ? [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a website where I can find not only the new correct Order of Draw, but also can tell me the color of tube to be used for each blood test ordered ? Thank You.

View more questions Search