Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carly381 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Wedding law uk under 18's
    Is anyone able to tell me, I am 16 in may and me and my fiancé want to set a date and book our wedding when I am 16 but we would like to book it for when I am 18 in 2012. Do I need parental permission to book the wedding? Any help? Pleaseeeee?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2010, 01:01 PM

Are you asking if you can enter into a legal contract with a catering service, hall, something of that nature?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 01:05 PM

You can not get married ( license) under age 18 without parents permission. You can get a license at 16 with parents permission

At 16 you can not sign contracts, so your parents will have to sign for everything.
    carly381 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2010, 02:00 PM

Do I need both my parents permission?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2010, 02:06 PM

Booking a wedding hall, caterer etc. means signing a contract. Since you are under 18 you can't legally enter into a contract.

If your fiancée is over 18, he can sgn the contracts. If one of your parents is agreeable, they can sign the contracts. So, as long as you have someone over 18 to enter into the contract, you can book the wedding.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2010, 02:18 PM

Since of course most engagements at 16 and waiting 2 years never happen, it really is a risk of your parents money, also most will want a deposit even at this date.

So is one of your parents willing to sign a contract, and being obligated , they will make it in their name

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fiancŽ called off the wedding just the day before the Wedding [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I dated my Ex-( not used to say that yet) Fiancé for about 3 years. He always had issue with making decisions( any) and commitment( something in his childhood) but he knew clearly that I wanted marriage. When I brought up the topic, he freaked out and we had a lot of arguments over it as I...

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

How to handle a future daughter in law who is going way overboard on her wedding [ 4 Answers ]

Our futures daughter in law is planning a reception that is way to expensive how do we get her to tone it down

Mother in law wedding attire [ 8 Answers ]

My son is getting married and his fiancé just informed me that she wants her mother and myself to wear either an off chapagne or red mother in law suit. First of all, I have red hair and fair skin so neither of these colors will look good on me. In fact, they make me look awful. Secondly, I was...

View more questions Search