Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IWANT2KNOW28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 10:14 AM
    When an ex-felon purchases bullets
    First off if an ex-felon purchase bullets at an gun store does it alert the police department, secondly is the grounds for the felons home to be searched, thirdly how much time can an ex-felon get for this if guns are found?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:16 AM

First, depends on your state, second, yes, this is probable cause, third, depends on your state and previous crimes.

The real question you should ask is "is having illegal firearms more important than my freedom"
    IWANT2KNOW28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by IWANT2KNOW28 View Post
    first off if an ex-felon purchase bullets at an gun store does it alert the police department, secondly is the grounds for the felons home to be searched, thirdly how much time can an ex-felon get for this if guns are found?.
    This happened in the state of California
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:53 AM
    this happened in the state of California
    Did you have to produce ID to purchase the ammo? If no, then you should be OK. If yes, I would venture to guess that a flag went up somewhere. What they do about it is hard to say.

What can happen... depends on what they catch you with, how good a lawyer you have and how good a mood the judge is in. Many states have mandatory minimums for gun laws. Mass is 18 months. Per offense.

My advice: if you have something you aren't supposed to, dispose of it (properly) before big blue comes knocking. However, its possible that just purchasing ammo is a violation too. Im not great with CA criminal law. A local lawyer would probably be your best bet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 11:12 AM

Normally no there is no automatic cross reference, but yes it can be found.

If discovered it would give them enough for even an arrest warrant, since they can't have ammo, and buying them is a crime, so they could get an arrest warrant first.

And of course a search warrant.

This could even be tried in Federal court ( not state court) with up to 20 years in prison,

I have a family member doing 5 years ( plea bargan with feds) for a non firing gun that was hanging on the wall.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 07:46 AM
    secondly is the grounds for the felons home to be searched, thirdly how much time can an ex-felon get for this if guns are found?.
    Hello I:

I don't think purchasing bullets is enough for the cops to get a search warrant.

A felon in possession of a firearm is an automatic 5 years with the feds. I don't know how much the state will sentence you to. But, I just read this morning that a judge ordered California to release 40,000 inmates... That's got to help... But, I'll bet they'll find room for you anyway.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shortcut for Bullets [ 2 Answers ]

What shortcut is used to insert Bullets.

Word 2004 indent and bullets operate on whole document [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When I indent a paragraph, all the paragraphs in the document become indented. Same for bullets. When I hit Undo once, all the paragraphs EXCEPT the one I wanted to format, go back to what they were before. So this is how I have to indent, bullet, etc. single paragraphs - it takes an Undo...

Wear patterns in bullets [ 1 Answers ]

If I have a new gun and I fired it multiple times over the course of a few months or years, would the wear patterns of each bullet gradually be different from the very first couple of bullets that were fired?

Same guns same bullets, different results [ 2 Answers ]

If I had 2 guns (same make and model) that used the same make and model of bullets, would they produce different results when each was fired? Is there a way to tell which bullet was fired from which gun?

Hillary eating bullets! [ 16 Answers ]

Why do Dems revise history? Now she claims she was sleep deprived since the media proves different. Ducking bullets! I think it beats Scary Kerry. YouTube - Hillary Clinton exposed as a Fraud for 1996 Bosnia Trip It gets better and better

View more questions Search