Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpm12010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 05:19 PM
    Peace Corps
    I've thought a lot about the Peace Corps as my "after high school plan" instead of going to college (well not completely I want to go after I come back) but it seems like everyone in my area is shoving the idea down all my peers' throats that they have to go to college after high school. I've talked to my mom about all the options that I do have but I definitely have time to think about it. I've thought that maybe the Peace Corps might be good because then I wouldn't have the stress of going to college right away and I could figure out what I really want to do with my life. Have any of you joined the Peace Corps? Where did you go and overall what was your experience? Was it hard being gone from home that long?

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 05:26 PM

You think about everything you want to do and then you write it down in order that works best toward your long term goals.
    Like what would you want to go to school for?
    What would you want to do in the Peace Corp?
    Does the Peace Corp offer training that you would get from college anyway or is there some other organization that would better help you pursue your career?
    What do you want to do after you graduate as a lifetime career?

If you answer these here maybe we can help you work on a plan.

Never let others influence what you want to do. Many of them are just regretting that they never did something so they want to see that somebody else is living out their passed by dreams.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 05:31 PM

I totally support you. I wish I had done that, since I was so burned out after h.s. (was 4th in my class of 150). You will travel and see how the world works and get a breath of fresh air outside of school. College will be a lot more meaningful.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 05:34 PM

I always wished I had joined the Peace Corp but I listened to others saying that girls should be married and settle down (back in the day)
    And I ended up marrying and divorcing. I still haven't gotten anything but minimum wage cleaning jobs.
    Also many people go to college and can't even get a good job once they get out. So they end up having to pay their college tuition with their pay from the burger joint or where ever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need peace of mind [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am new to this forum and looking for a peace of mind. This is my case. I had a unprotected sex with my male partner who was at his 20th age and I was running at my 15th age. Now I am running my 25th age. Obviouslly that was a monogamous sex. Myself and my partner were free from STD...

United States Marine Corps Weding [ 6 Answers ]

I am Just beginning to plan a weding for January. My fiance' is active duty in the Marine Corps. We are seriously considering having Military Wedding, but I have so many questions, and I can only seem to get bits and pieces answers. Like for example; We still haven't decided if we are going to...

I am not at peace. [ 4 Answers ]

I used to be rockstar till the age 24... popular and loved and in command of my own life.. Then I discovered l.s.d, and abused it for months... I have quit all drugs and substances, I am 29 now... but I suffer from extreme mood swings, and depressive states. Sometimes I feel I have become...

View more questions Search