Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brannen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 11:55 PM
    1955 Mid Century Watercolor
    I recently purchased a 1955 watercolor on paper of what I believe to be sailboats. I am having a tough time identifying the artist signature and would like to find out more about the artist. The signature looks like it says "R. --low"

If anyone can help or point me in the direction of a resource that can, I would be much appreciative.
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:28 AM

Hi, brannen!

Would it be possible for you to post a little clearer image of the signature?

Thanks!
    brannen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 11:12 PM
    Hi Clough,
    I hope this is a little better. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Attached Images

fmtaskart Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Jun 6, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Hi
    Take this only as a suggestion and a starting point. The name on your work can easily be read(or misread) as "K. Britow". You may have the transliterated name from a cyrillic one. For example, if "russian" the original name could have become britov or even britoff, or, if "polish", britow. Looking carefully, you can see writing under (actually a bit above) the english signature that you have that may be in another language. Possibly you have a signature written over the original...

If you accept any of the above, the search becomes one of seeking the work, a similar work, or a matching signature for any of the above names or another that serendipidously falls out along the way... That's why one might want to consider:

Kim Britov, russian born 1925. (Found with starting search term "brito")

Kim Britov - Images Kim Britov

No matching work or matching english signature... but what lies beneath yours may be Cyrillic that may match that on a painting... I'm stopping now... Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre 1955 e-mail virus [ 3 Answers ]

I thought you would want to know about this e-mail virus. Even the most advanced programs From Norton or McAfee cannot take care of this One It appears to affect those who were born Prior to 1955.

Identify painting -1955 Jesus [ 3 Answers ]

I removed a painting from a frame and behind it was another painting on thin paper. It is of Jesus with blood on His hands and looking up. It says on it: 1955, S.V.D.C.U. Can anyone identify hat this is?

About lee v lee's air farming 1955 [ 1 Answers ]

About lee v lee's air farming 1955?

No Sex Since 1955 [ 3 Answers ]

A crusty old Marine Sergeant Major found himself at a gala event hosted by a local liberal arts college. There was no shortage of extremely young Idealistic ladies in attendance, one of whom approached the Sergeant Major for conversation. 'Excuse me Sergeant Major but you seem to be a very...

View more questions Search