Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maskir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Does plaintiff have to show proof, to obtain default judgement
    I received a summons to small claims for a frivolous lawsuit. I know that not showing up is a reason for a default judgement to be issued against me. But if the plaintiff will have to show proof to his claim, I'm certain he won't be able to. What is the law/practive in NYC small claims? Does the plaintiff have to show some sort of proof? If yes, I won't bother to appear.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 01:37 PM

Yes, the Plaintiff has to prove up his case whether you appear or not. Of course, if you're not there it's a lesser burden of proof.

How do you know the Plaintiff isn't going to show up with some sort of fake evidence?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2009, 02:49 PM

Of course the plaintiff has to bring some sort of proof for the Judge to look at. You not showing up means essentially that you are not interested in the proceedings or do not contest the proceedings and decided to be a no show. If you are comfortable with someone getting a judgment against you, don't bother to show up as they will get that judgment and you will then have to pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The judge dismissed my case because the plaintiff didn't show up [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, if there someone here knows about the law of the small claim please answer my few question regarding to my case. On Mar. 2, I appeared to the small claim and the plaintiff didn't show up and the judge dismissed the case and he said I won because the plaintiff didn't show and now they asked...

Judgement by default, now trying to enforce judgement [ 2 Answers ]

Received a judgement by default... by cavalry portfolio... a debt collector service. Now they had a sheriff show up at my home due to a levy, and theyb assessed my assests. Can they do that?

I do show, the plaintiff wins, how will court determin pay? [ 3 Answers ]

If I don’t show up and the plaintiff wins, will the court then request my financial information in order to determin what payments I could handle or do they just say pay and force me to appeal in some way with my financial circumstances, if so how?

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

View more questions Search