Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yassin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 09:15 AM
    The high rise building between the good and the indignation
    Wlcome for all,
    I think many time about the high rise buildings,
    And I see some questions need to share it with others to find the fact,
    To know the good way, to know where we go...

I need to know the history of the high rise building,
    From the 1st moment what is this idea can solve?!
    If we apply the idea of the high rise building right?!
    This idea solved the problems that we create it to solve?!
    What is the bad and good effect of the high rise buildings on the sustainable urban form?!
    Is it really the high rise building can make a bad effect on the rotation of the earth?!
    And how we can use it the perfect use to solve our problems and the future problems or we have to change our way?!

Hope to answer me and I will appreciate your informations
    Many thanks for all...
    Kind Regards
    Mohamed Yassin
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 6, 2009, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yassin View Post
    is it realy the high rise building can make a bad effect on the rotation of the earth?!!
    I can't answer most of your questions but can certainly address this one: the answer is NO! At least, not in any practical way. The concept here is that when you lift the weight of building materials into the sky you increase the moment of inertia of the earth as a whole, which has the effect of slowing the rotation of the earth (in order to conserve rotational inertia). But the mass of building materials for all high rises when added together, and the heights they are being lifted to in constructing buildings, is insignificant compared to the mass of the earth or its radius. Here are the numbers and a back-of-the-envelope computation:

The moment of inertia of the earth is about 8 * 10^37 Kg-m^2. The weight of a high rise can vary a lot, of course. But consider the Empire State Building - it's mass is reported to about 392,000 tons, or about 3.6 * 10^8 Kg. Assume for arguments sake that all the mass is concentrated at the top of the building (1453 ft), or 443 m. To keep the math simple, assume also that the building material was all mined from deep underground, so that the total change in height for all that material due to construction is 2 Km. Under these assumptions the change in the earth's total moment of inertia caused by lifting all that material is 9.1 * 10^18 Kg-m^2. That's a big number, but it is infinitesimal compared to the inertia of the earth. To put it in perspective - this would effect the length of the day by about 0.000000000000001 seconds. Even if you built a billion Empire State Buildings - their total effect on the length of the day would be about 0.00001 seconds. Obviously it's a silly thing to worry about.
    White Buffalo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 11:44 AM

Forger not as the continents shift. The mass every mountain range is either growing or dying in continuous evolutionary flux.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hvac system design for high rise building [ 1 Answers ]

do any 1 describe in detail the design & selection of cooling tower; que.=cooling tower for a chiller of 750 TR & 1000 TR? primary & secondary pump,condenser pump along with pipe sizing method. building height=building 1 is 27 floor ( 350 ft) 2 is 35...

Effect of high rise buildings on earths rotation [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any effect on the earths rotation due to increase in the number of high rise building reaching to heights of nearly a mile. Especially if they are concentrated in some cities like Manhattan or Dubai.

Bryant Temp Rise Tooo High [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 year old Bryant gas forced air furnace is distributing hot air that smells HOT. This has continued beyond the early initial fall heat smell period. I measured the plenium temp at 170F after a 10 min burn time. The info plate list the Temp rise as 55-85 F; which would translate to a max outlet...

View more questions Search