Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cooltwp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Biweekly payroll discrepancy at years end
    We are paid biweekly. Our Controller moved our payroll cycle back three days in October paying PR #22 at 56 hrs. calling it an interim pay and saying the 24 hrs would be pushed forward and made up. By years end we had submitted 25 paysheets @ 80 hrs and 1 paysheet @ 56 hrs. Our bottom line shows pay for 2056 hours in 2008, not 2080 hrs. We are now being told we will make up the 24 hrs in 2009. I have two questions: why would an employee working a 40 hr week for 52 weeks, being paid 26 biweekly pays have to wait for any pay hours in the following year? We are now in the first pay of the 26 bi-weekly pay cycle for 2009 and according to the Controller, all of these pays will be @ 80 hrs. so where in this scenario does anyone see these missing 24 hours showing up?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Dec 30, 2008, 08:41 AM

It seems to me that the next check you received should have had the 24 hours on it or you should have been compensated for an 24 hours that you didn't actually work in that cycle. OR they should have submitted a second check with the 24 hours. If paid 80 hrs for each check moving forward it won't be showing up. I can tell you feel that though they have borrowed that money from each employee or shorted you in some way. Unless that was in some way in the beginning of employment paid to you in advance in some way with your first check, sometimes happening with salaried employees. You will either have to wait until the end of 2009 to see that it was made up or it would appear on your final check once you leave the company. You could always ask someone to look into it or from the company to explain it better in more detail. Are you the only employee this has happened to? It does appear suspect.
    cooltwp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. This didn't just happen to me; it happened to all hourly employees who have been working here for a number of years on a biweekly pay cycle, so there is no beginning of employment issues or advance pays. The only explanation we get is fuzzy speak about dates that simply do not compute with the simple math of an hourly work year and the telltale bottom line. Do you know of any official sources where a complaint or request for an investigation could be filed?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 12:28 PM

Most states have a Division of Labor and Industry (or similar) that has the authority to investigate these issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is divorcing over $$ discrepancy worthy? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 15 years and we have a wonderful 12 year old daughter. Our marriage is solid and we love each other very much. But I made an unforgivable mistake. For four years now I have had several credit cards in my name that my husband was unaware of. I even had them...

NJ/NY tax discrepancy [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to file on TurboTax for my husband and myself. We both live in NJ, but he took a new job in MY at the end of last year, so we are filing for both NJ and NY. What I don't understand is why I only receive a partial credit for the taxes he paid in NY (TurboTax is saying we get credit for...

H1-H4 Tax discrepancy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I and my wife came to US on H1 and H4 respectively in Jul 2006. After going through this forum I got to know the following: Choice #1 is filing jointly with your wife as resident aliens and reporting ALL your world-wide income, with the first $16,900 of said income being tax-free. ...

Floppy Drive Discrepancy [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine has a few image files on a floppy disc (how archaic!) and I said that I would put them on a CD (what a waste of space). Anyway, the floppy is recoginzed on their computer (WinXP), but not mine. I have two computers and both say "Please insert a disk into the drive A:". I don't...

View more questions Search