Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rankingabc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 08:34 PM
    How to fix York furnace inefficient
    First, thanks for reading this post. I have tried to fix this problem for a while but could not find the clue.

We moved in this 3-year old house for 3 months, but a couple weeks ago found that the York furnace cannot work efficient enough to keep up the heat, e.g. we set the desired temperature at 72F, but the furnace will not work continuously before reaching 72F, and consequently, the house temperature would be only 67F and could be 62F only at night. This problem is more evident when it is snowing now than without. It will restart to work for a while if I turn the power off and then on, or from the thermometer by turning the heat off and then on. From the diagnostics light, I can see 4 red flashes when it is not working (the light is green when it is working). According to the manual, it could be"this indicates that a primary or auxiliary limit switch has opened its normally closed contacts 5 consecutive times during a call for heat. With this fault code the control will operate the supply air blower and inducer. This condition may be caused by: dirty filter, improperly sized duct system, incorrect blower speed setting, incorrect firing rate or faulty blower motor." The filter is new and the best from Home Depot in less than one month.

Should I clean the furnace? Replace the motor? Or something else?

The unit is York Affinity 8T Tubular heat exchanger series Efficiency 80%.

Help! Appreciate your suggestions!
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 17, 2008, 08:40 PM

Short answer... call in a local service company. There are several things that could be tested/adjusted and we simply cannot do that over the internet and chances are you will not have either the specialized tools or knowledge to do this. No offense.

Dec 18, 2008, 09:58 PM

It is no offense at all, although I am looking for more challenging answers. You are definitely right that I might not have the right tool and knowledge to solve this problem. I probably have overestimated my capability even though I got some diplomats in physics and CS.

I was thinking to call a service company, but with a second thought, I decided to figure out what the problem is at first. Can anybody give me some more specific hints before I give up? Thanks.

Dec 18, 2008, 10:01 PM

I might have not provided enough information. If so, please let me know. Thanks.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 10:04 PM

One possibility for the fault code that the manual apparently doesn't mention-a clogged air conditioning coil (indoor). This would result in poor airflow, overheating, high-limit cycling, excessive running, and poor efficiency/high operating cost. Sound familiar?

Dec 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Thanks. I will have this coil clean to see what would happen then. I will report back.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rankingabc View Post
    Thanks. I will have this coil clean to see what would happen then. I will report back.

If it looks like this it is real dirty
    Attached Images

Dec 19, 2008, 03:30 PM

Wow. I need to check that. Thanks!
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Dec 19, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rankingabc View Post
    I probably have overestimated my capability even though I got some diplomats in physics and CS.
    Is that like a diploma or a degree?

I applaud our DIY attitude but as the saying goes "The path to destruction is paved with good intentions". You are dealing with gas and electricity. If you do not know what you are doing you could cause serious harm and or death. Take it for what it is worth.

Dec 20, 2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks for your concern. Like typos (sorry, English is not my native language), mistakes are unavoidable. This explain why I am extremely careful when I am dealing with this furnace. The key is that I prefer to know something before I call and trust those "professional" service companies.

Sorry for the diplomat things. I have a Ph.D. thereore, I guess that they are diplomas and degrees simultaneously.

Thanks for more inputs though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York Stellar Furnace Heating up Furnace Room to 110 Degress? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a York Stellar Furnace in my newly purchased house. Furnace is 15 years old. Furnace is releasing hot air from front grills and heats up furnace room to 110 Degrees. I had a Bryant Furnace in another house and this never happened. All plenams and ducts are taped and sealed so the heat is...

York furnace problems [ 4 Answers ]

Tried starting up my gas furnace this year everything seemed fine it lit but only stayed lit for about 8 seconds. I cleaned the thermocoupler and it still did the same thing. I replaced the thermocoupler and still has the same problem.The one thing that I have noticed is the draft inducer just...

York furnace not responding [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I apologize in advance for the long post. I have a 10 year old York gas furnace (Model P1CK; Upflow; 32-112 MBH Output) that's been functioning in a peculiar way. The outside temp in this area has been about 65-70 daytime high and 35-45 at night. I have the thermostat set for 66 degrees...

York furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace works fine then turns off when house warms up to temp. will not come back on until I turn furnace off and on . Code flashes one time saying system lock out. What should I do ? Thanks mario

Old york gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is pete I have a old york gas furnace not the newer type with the circuit board I need a wiring diagram for a typical york gas furnace.I installed a new blower motor and thermostat,new gas valve and cleaned all components.gas ignites but blower won't come on if thermostat is on auto but...

View more questions Search