Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 4, 2008, 07:57 PM
    History Books
    I want to learn about all kinds of history, but don't know where to start. (I never studied in school) Can someone help? Should I start with a general summary of certain cultures, or civilizations; almost like the textbook type we had in school. Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 08:10 PM

First, read a general summary of world history, then pick out certain periods to study--there are so many.* Or just start at the beginning with the earliest civilizations and go forward from there. Rather than memorize or study details and dates, learn generalities about how they farmed, how they learned (education), what they ate and how they got those foods, their tools and methods of transportation, their wars against whom and why.

*Start with kids' books at the local public library in order to get a simple overview.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 5, 2008, 08:27 PM

A good general survey of world history (although perhaps a bit Euro-centric) is the Penguin History of the World, by Robert Brooks. It is well written, but is, of necessity, a bit intimidating in size.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 09:40 AM

You may want to start with the history of your country. Learn about where it began, what it's been through, and you'll see how it got to be where it is :)
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 11, 2008, 08:27 PM

OOPs -sorry - one more comment.
    History is just filled to the brim with interesting people. As you go along, don't neglect biographies. In addition to the people being interesting in themselves, knowing more about the individual(s) involved often helps you to make more sense of WHY things happened as they did.
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2008, 08:14 AM

Can anyone recommend any 'general summary' history books? Thank you for the hint about the penquin! I also like the thot of children's books, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

History and or haunted history records on a residential home [ 4 Answers ]

Would like to get free information re: a homes history or haunted history by researching prior tenants or owners to a property located in Vacaville, California. Address: 125 Andover Drive Vacaville CA 95687 curious as to anyone having information on suicide death at this residence. Please help.

Tell all books [ 1 Answers ]

I just read "If I did it" by O.J. Simpson and "The Otherman" about John F. Kennedy Jr. Carolyn Bessette, and Michael Bergin I really liked them both and I'm looking for suggestions to similar books-any good tell alls:)

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

E books [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Please tell me which is the best site for finding any ebooks?

View more questions Search