Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chalone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Buying a home for sale buy owner
    My son wants to purchase a house that is for sale by owner. He does not want to pay for a lawyer. Should I worry about any leins that might be on the house
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 09:22 PM
    yes and you should worry about your son being cheated most of his life being too cheap to protect hisself properly.

He has to at a min have a title company do a complete title search and purchase title insurance. But who is going to make up the sale documents, who is going to do the 1000 pages of closing documents, will there be the proper inspections required by law. And so much more.

To save a few hundred dollars to risk our home value is just asking for trouble
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Yeah... I got to say, some people try to skimp out on small fees here and there, and at times, it's worked out great... but a lot of the times, it's turned out real tragic.

Need an appraiser to come take a look... get an inspector to come take a look... need a lawyer and licensed real estate salesperson to prep/look over paperwork. He may be out a few bucks, but it'll end up saving him a whole lot of heartache later on.
    maguilar37 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chalone
    my son wants to purchase a house that is for sale by owner. He does not want to pay for a lawyer. Should I worry about any leins that might be on the house
    Your son needs a lawyer!! Yes, lawyer checks title for any leins. Tell your son to ask seller to pay closing cost which is usually around 3% and that covers attorney fees which normaly run $400-500 on purchases.
    M00nstar Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Definitely your son should have a lawyer. The seller could contribute to his closing costs, but the lawyer would be able to look over the contract, check for liens, review title and also review the mortgage which unless it is a cash purchase... he would need. It is never a good idea to use the sellers attorney... he needs someone to protect his interests.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 05:08 PM
    Retain a title company to do the title search and the closing. We use title companies all the time and they do a very good job of closings for us. Attorneys just add another layer of protection on top of the title company. Title insurance is very cheap considering the alternative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying Tax sale homes [ 5 Answers ]

I am a student who recently took out a private student loan for school. I will have roughly $10,000 left after I pay a few debts off. I want to find a way to invest the remaining money so that I can create a profit on the loan, and I was interested in buying a tax sale home. The problem is, I know...

For Sale By Owner -- Issues? [ 24 Answers ]

My wife and I are pondering selling our house ourselves. We are beginning to look into how to do it and we have a neighbor that is a Real Estate agent that will assist us. I have a couple very high level questions. We are trying to avoid paying the 6% commission so that we can be more flexible...

Home for Sale by OWNER [ 4 Answers ]

I had my house in the market through a broker - has not sold in 6 months, even after price reductions. I want to try it on my own: Where can I advertise on the internet if I do not have a broker? I know I can do it at Craigs List, any other sites? Thank you for your help. Jfe

For sale by owner? [ 1 Answers ]

I found a house not far from where we live. We've been calling them for 3 days now with no return calls. We have left several messages. The house is For Sale By Owner. I've looked up the appraisal amount of the house online. I want to buy it. But I don't know how much they want for it, or what the...

For sale by owner [ 3 Answers ]

Who does the paperwork when a mobile home is being offered for sale by owner and being purchased by someone who is paying cash? I am thinking about buying but don't know the proper procedure. The mobile home is in a mobile home park on leased land. I want to protect myself but do not know how to...

View more questions Search